Autism Spectrum Disorders presents the best validation criteria we currently have to offer children with ASD, and provides a blueprint for future work in this area. A long overdue wake-up call to the field, and one that is highly recommended. ' - Gary Sasso, Chairperson, Department of Curriculum and Instruction , University of Iowa 'This excellent compendium will prove invaluable for anyone who wants to identify and evaluate commonly used treatments and interventions for individuals with autism spectrum disorders. ' - Juane Heflin, Associate Professor, Georgia State University How can you best help a child with autism reach their full potential? Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) present a perplexing challenge for parents and school professionals. Literally dozens of interventions and treatments are available, so how does one know which intervention strategy works best for any given child or situation? This essential new resource, Autism Spectrum Disorders, was developed to respond directly to the extraordinary difficulty school professionals and families face in selecting and applying appropriate, effective interventions and treatments for the children in their care. The information is presented in a straightforward and simple format, practical for finding clear answers to complex questions. For easy access, the book is organized into the following five intervention categories-Interpersonal Relationships, Skill-Based Treatment Programs, Cognitive Methods, Physiological/Biological/Neurological Approaches, and Other Treatments and Interventions. Each category contains several detailed reviews, including: " A description of the intervention or treatment " Reported benefits and effects associated with its use " A synthesis of how the outcomes relate to individuals with ASD " A discussion of who is best qualified to implement it, including when and where " Potential costs and risks Comprehensive in scope, this resource briefly evaluates over 40 commonly used and purported interventions and treatments for individuals with ASD, as well as detailed evaluations of their utility and efficiency. It will assist readers in critically evaluating and choosing those methods that have the highest probability of yielding benefits for this special population.
This book offers practical suggestions and advice for how to teach and learn those subtle messages that most people seem to pick up almost automatically but that have to be directly taught to individuals with social-cognitive challenges. Given the serious consequences that can befall a person who violates a social rule, the strategies and detailed lists of curriculum items make The Hidden Curriculum a much-needed resource.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.