- Table View
- List View
From his loves and losses to the possibility his ghost still resides in the White House, Abraham Lincoln's complexity, his experiences, and his life in politics are explored in this unique biography. High school & older.
When it comes to bastards, you can't beat the good old days of the Egyptian pharaohs, the Roman Empire, or Europe during the Dark Ages. The bastards of old abound--and they come in every color, creed, gender, and sexual preference. From the cross-dressing emperor Elagabalus of Rome, who was assassinated by his own grandmother, to the icon-worshipping fanatical Empress Irene of Byzantine, who gouged out her only son's eyes, you'll find the most malevolent malcontents who have truly survived the test of time. The Book of Ancient Bastards: Because when it comes to bad, it reallyisancient history!
Move over, Benedict Arnold . . . Oh to be sure, America's first traitorisone of the 101 bastards you will find in this one-of-a-kind account of bad guys in Washington. But compared to some of the gross misconduct in this frighteningly funny history book, well, let's just say he's in good company. This page-turner of a potboiler reveals all the dirtiest little secrets readers never learned in history class. From illegitimate children (we thought Grover Cleveland was too boring to have sex) and illicit trysts (Warren G. Harding in the White House phone booth with his secretary) to turncoats (make up your own mind about Daniel Ellsberg) and traitors (General Wilkinson, aka a Spanish secret agent), you will discover all the dirt worth dishing since the founding of Jamestown. The Book of Bastards--because what you don't know about the history of our great nation can make you laughandcry!
With The Everything Kids' Presidents Book, you'll be at the head of your class after learning about the lives, legacies, and impact that our country's 44 leaders had on the history of the United States.
Through puzzles, trivia, and facts, The Everything Kids' States Book offers all kids need to know about the U S of A-- from Main and Florida to California and Washington. Kids will enjoy learning all the fun details about America, including: Lake Chargoggmaunchaugagoggchaubung-ungamaugg in Massachusetts has one of the longest names of any body of water in the U. S. The Dutch purchased the land that is now New York city with trade goods that would cost about $25 today. Philadelphia was the first capital of the U. S.
One hundred fifty years after his death, Abraham Lincoln remains one of America's most fascinating, brilliant, and visionary leaders. He's idolized as a hero, a legend, and even a secular saint. In this engaging, intelligent book, you will learn about more than just his savvy political skills and Civil War power plays, including: How Lincoln escaped death more than once as a childWhy the Lincolns kept goats at the White HouseHow John Wilkes Booth's brother saved Lincoln's sonWho tried to rob Lincoln's graveHonest Abe--because what you didn't know will surprise you!
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.