- Table View
- List View
First in the Sir John Fielding mystery series. A death takes place in a library with the door locked on the inside and blind magistrate Sir John with young Jeremy's help unravels the mystery.
"Suspicion and fear are running high in London, as a gang of expert criminals terrorizes the town in a spree of robbery and murder - noblewomen are held at gunpoint in their parlors, and an innocent manservant is executed in cold blood. There is but one peculiar clue to the identity of this group: The robbers are all black men." "When Sir John takes a bullet to the shoulder early on, it is young Jeremy Proctor - who has been the blind magistrate's eyes for so many years - who must lead this most delicate investigation, albeit under Sir John's bedridden counsel. And when Jeremy begins to turn over stones, he and Sir John come to find that black and white is never as simple as it seems - and the deeds being committed are even darker than they imagined."--BOOK JACKET. Title Summary field provided by Blackwell North America, Inc. All Rights Reserved
The second in line for an estate mysteriously comes into the picture after his older brother dies. But is he really the person who he says he is? This case has answers to an unresolved murder of the past.
Ninth in the series featuring blind 18th century magistrate and brother of Henry Fielding. Benjamin Franklin plays a prominent role.
John Fielding was famous not only as co-founder of London's first police force, the Bow Street Runners, but also as a magistrate of keen intellect, fairness and uncommon detective ability. When a crime was committed, he often took it upon himself to solve it. What made this all the more remarkable was that he was blind. Now the blind magistrate and his young assistant and ward, Jeremy Proctor, face a baffling pair of deaths. A lord dies suddenly while attending a concert. A disembodied head washes up on the banks of the Thames. While investigating both, Sir John and Jeremy will learn more than they ever cared to about family, greed, deception... and the peculiar nature of homicide, high and low.
This second in the Sir John Fielding mystery series involves a mass murder and the determining of the guilt of the man holding a bloody axe. At the same time a new religious sect is causing problems in London, taking their vengeance out on the Jews.
Fourth in the series featuring Sir John Fielding, a blind magistrate.
Sir John, a blind magistrate, and Jeremy search for clues to a murder set in 1774. Last in the Sir John Fielding mysteries, published posthumously.
The suicide of a lord happens at the same time a hypnotism specialist arrives in London--a man patronized by the lord's beautiful wife. It's a coincidence the blind Sir John Fielding can't fail to notice.
When Sir John Fielding is ordered to go to the seaside town of Deal where smuggling and corruption are rampant, his ward Clarissa accompanies him and Jeremy. Strange happenings in the home of their host, the largest landowner in the area, Sir John becomes concerned. After prisoners they have taken are freed resulting in a murder, he relocates to the home of Bertie Sarton, the magistrate he was sent to investigate. When Mr. Sarton is murdered, Sir John becomes acting magistrate he plans his attack on the smugglers in which Jeremy acquits himself very well. John Bilbo, captaining his newly refurbished ship also plays a leading role in the attack.
In the 1760s a man is washed overboard in a typhoon. Was it murder or an accident? Blind magistrate Sir John Fielding investigates, and discovers secrets that might better have been left at the bottom of a watery grave.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.