- Table View
- List View
A text for specialists in orientation and mobility, providing background information on physiology and function of human perceptual and motor systems. A section on human systems addresses areas including low vision, kinesiology, and sensorimotor function, and a section on mobility systems deals with tools, materials, and techniques such as canes, electronic travel aids, trained dogs, and changes in the built environment that facilitate travel for blind people. A section on the learner focuses on approaches for teaching children, adults, and those with multiple impairments. A final section reviews development of the profession from the post WWII-era to the present, and looks at future trends. Includes bandw photos and learning activities. This edition incorporates changes in the field since 1980. Annotation copyrighted by Book News, Inc. , Portland, OR
Making use of the research and creative approaches, this book combines the knowledge and experience of many researchers and practitioners who have studied and engaged themselves towards enabling independent travel of blind people.
Foundations of Orientation and Mobility, Volume 2: Third Edition: Volume 2: Instructional Strategies and Practical Applications (Third Edition)by Bruce B. Blasch William R. Wiener Richard L. Welsh
This edition aims at adapting to needs of the changing population and environment, and to best educate new O&M specialists as well as to update currently practicing O&M specialists and other professionals.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.