- Table View
- List View
I Wish I'd Been There brings together twenty of our most distinguished historians' responses to the question "What scene or incident in American history would you most liked to have witnessed--and why?" The answers illuminate crucial moments in our past and give readers a front-row seat at some of American history's most dramatic events.The Salem witch trials, the raid on Harper's Ferry, the assassination of Abraham Lincoln, the voting rights march on Selma, the beginnings of the Vietnam War--all of these and more are vividly recreated here by a stellar list of contributors, including Mary Beth Norton, Joseph Ellis, Carol Berkin, Geoffrey Ward, Robert Dallek, Jay Winik, Robert Cowley, Carolyn Gilman, and William Leuchtenburg, among other luminaries of the profession. With imagination, insight, and vivid detail, I Wish I'd Been There is an engaging tour through key events in American history.From the Trade Paperback edition.obert Dallek, and William Leuchtenburg, among other luminaries of the historical profession.I Wish I'd Been There is a marvelous concept, wonderfully and imaginatively executed. The result is an American pageant of character and event that will attract and delight readers of history.
The Authors and Essays inI Wish I'd Been There®, Book Two Josiah Ober ·At the Deathbed of Alexander the Great Tom Holland ·Hannibal Crosses the Alps Theodore K. Rabb ·Christmas Day in the Year 800 John Julius Norwich ·Venice, July 24, 1177 Katherine Fischer Drew ·Magna Carta and the King's Men Barbara A. Hanawalt ·Rebel Leader Confronts King at Smithfield in 1381 Lauro Martines ·Ten Thousand Brutes in Renaissance Florence Geoffrey Parker·August 9, 1588: The Spanish Armada (almost) Surrenders Katherine ...
'What is the moment in history that you would like to have witnessed-and why?' This is the thought-provoking question that Theodore Rabb and Byron Hollinshead posed to twenty of our finest historians. Their answers can be found in this fascinating and thoroughly readable book, which trains a lens on crucial moments of our past and brings them to vivid life. Contributors include Tom Holland, John Elliott, John Julius Norwich, Margaret MacMillan and John Keegan and with these - and other - peerless scholars as their guides, readers will be transported to the death of Alexander the Great, Christmas 800CE when Charlemagne was crowned Holy Roman Emperor, Hannibal's legendary crossing of the Alps, Runnymede where King John was forced to sign Magna Carta, the Spanish Armada, the Battle of the Nile, Paris 1919, the German surrender in 1945 and the end of the First Gulf War. Imaginatively executed and vividly written, the result is a pageant of character and event that will attract and delight readers of history.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.