- Table View
- List View
Novelists: the soul of an age, certainly. Brilliant? Perhaps. Yet aren't they also doddering, petulant, pedantic, knockkneed, skittish, and thunderingly insecure-resentful, awkward, annoying-demanding, deluded, and vexingly indifferent to reality? New from short fiction devotée C.P. Boyko, Novelists is a comedy of manners (and manuscripts), rivalling Vanity Fair for its satirical wit... though not, mercifully, for its length.PRAISE FOR NOVELISTS "Proudly, gloriously, gleefully old-fashioned in their style and settings, these largely comic stories about the worst traits of artists are more serious than they at first seem: they depict the petty insecurities that fuel every creative act."-Russell Smith"If you are a normal person, these stories, with their pitch-perfect satirical humour and their finely tuned sentences, will make you laugh out loud. If you are a writer, first you will squirm with recognition while envying his impressive vocabulary, his nimble grammar, and his startling imagery, and then you'll laugh out loud."-Diane SchoemperlenPRAISE FOR C.P. BOYKO"Readers will enjoy the author's versatility, quirky (sometimes uproarious) sense of humor, sardonic view of the world, and fruitful imagination ... Libraries with any short-fiction readers should buy this book and keep an eye out for the next one."-Booklist, starred review"Nothing short of astonishing."-The Walrus"Keep your eye on this young Canadian talent."-Chatelaine"Stunning ... Boyko has an unstoppable imagination."-The Globe & Mail"Stealthy, seductive ... A collection that in many ways ... will provide thought-fodder, not to mention good old-fashioned pleasure, for months."- The Montreal Gazette"Fans of satirical fiction will love this ... impeccably researched and unflinchingly intelligent." -The National Post
FINALIST FOR THE ETHEL WILSON FICTION PRIZEFINALIST FOR THE VICTORIA BUTLER BOOK PRIZE"C.P. Boyko's second offering is brilliantly bold. Playful and dire and scholarly all at once, Psychology may well be the most audaciously original collection of Canadian fiction, ever. Mr. Mustard alone is worth the price of admission."-Bill Gaston, author of Mount Appetite"Very revealing."-Hubert T. Ross, PhD, PsyD, DPsyPsychologists are people we admire and resent. At best, they're compassionate detectives of the human soul, healers and diagnosticians, assessing the internal machinations that structure our lives and behavior. At worst, however, they're smug, hyper-educated, bombastic, yappy, socially deaf, thrice-divorced and twice-separated spouse-swapping cat-torturing perverts. Plus, they're all in this book. And so are their patients. C.P. Boyko's Psychology and Other Stories is replete with analysts, attorneys, criminals, Freudians, wardens, and self-help gurus. From Dr. Pringle's treatment-resisting young patient in "Reaction-Formation" to the philandering forensic psychiatrist of "The Blood-Brain Barrier," Psychology is a droll dissection of industry archetypes-as well as a brilliant study of mental illness, mental health, and the people who try to tell them apart.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.