- Table View
- List View
Probably the most popular horse story of all time, Black Beauty tells the story of one horse's long and varied life. On the one hand, a fully engaging novel and on the other hand, a strong statement against animal maltreatment. Anna Sewell's classic novel has enthralled readers since it was first published in 1877.
Tells the Story of a Mountain Gorilla from the rainforest of Africa on his life in a zoo far away from home.
Eleven-year-old Ian and his father, a Vietnam veteran, have been homeless for several years. Now his father has found the perfect place for them, the vast, old, now unused city courthouse. As a historic monument, it is kept heated and has lots of bathrooms and a variety of exits, and entrances. Then Ian's father fails to return one night, and Ian discovers that a local museum is going to put on a six-week exhibit of kites from around the world in one of the largest courtrooms. As the kites arrive and the exhibit is mounted, Ian is increasingly fascinated by what he sees when no one is there and what he overhears. The kites are beautiful -- extraordinary, imaginative, and varied. Because he reads all the books on kites that are there, Ian becomes quite an expert. At length he bluffs his way into being accepted as a very bright and knowledgeable boy who can, when the exhibit opens, take groups of schoolchildren around. Ian's precarious survival on his own, following all the precautions his father has taught him, makes absorbing reading in this highly unusual, realistic story of a closely knit, remarkably independent father and son by the author of the 1996 Newbery Honor winner, Yolonda's Genius.
Ruddy loves trucks and computer games and playing outside. Grandmother Silk loves high heels and Masterpiece Theatre. And she doesn't like noise. Neither of them thinks they have much in common, but when a surprise snowstorm comes howling through, Ruddy and his grandmother are stranded. Can surviving together turn them into friends? Ruddy's grandmother isn't much fun. She calls him Rudford, and she doesn't like noise or dirt or television. When Ruddy's parents go on a cruise and leave him with Grandmother Silk, Ruddy knows it's going to be a loooong ten days. Then a snowstorm comes howling through. Ruddy and his grandmother are left without light, heat, and water-and they have no one to talk to but each other. Slowly, with the help of a chessboard, the moon, and a gorilla suit, they reach out to each other in surprising ways. Partly a survival story, this is mostly a tale of two people who think they aren't alike at all-until they look for the things they have in common. Photos described.
Ten-year-old Faith struggles to overcome her fear of horses and her feelings of jealousy toward her talented older sister when they spend the summer on a horse farm.
Young Andrew creates beautiful music on his harmonica despite his reading difficulties, and when the bullies of his Chicago neighborhood destroy his harmonica, his older sister Yolanda struggles to replace it.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.