- Table View
- List View
Probably the most popular horse story of all time, Black Beauty tells the story of one horse's long and varied life. On the one hand, a fully engaging novel and on the other hand, a strong statement against animal maltreatment. Anna Sewell's classic novel has enthralled readers since it was first published in 1877.
Tells the Story of a Mountain Gorilla from the rainforest of Africa on his life in a zoo far away from home.
Eleven-year-old Ian and his father, a Vietnam veteran, have been homeless for several years. Now his father has found the perfect place for them, the vast, old, now unused city courthouse. As a historic monument, it is kept heated and has lots of bathrooms and a variety of exits, and entrances. Then Ian's father fails to return one night, and Ian discovers that a local museum is going to put on a six-week exhibit of kites from around the world in one of the largest courtrooms. As the kites arrive and the exhibit is mounted, Ian is increasingly fascinated by what he sees when no one is there and what he overhears. The kites are beautiful -- extraordinary, imaginative, and varied. Because he reads all the books on kites that are there, Ian becomes quite an expert. At length he bluffs his way into being accepted as a very bright and knowledgeable boy who can, when the exhibit opens, take groups of schoolchildren around. Ian's precarious survival on his own, following all the precautions his father has taught him, makes absorbing reading in this highly unusual, realistic story of a closely knit, remarkably independent father and son by the author of the 1996 Newbery Honor winner, Yolonda's Genius.
Ruddy loves trucks and computer games and playing outside. Grandmother Silk loves high heels and Masterpiece Theatre. And she doesn't like noise. Neither of them thinks they have much in common, but when a surprise snowstorm comes howling through, Ruddy and his grandmother are stranded. Can surviving together turn them into friends? Ruddy's grandmother isn't much fun. She calls him Rudford, and she doesn't like noise or dirt or television. When Ruddy's parents go on a cruise and leave him with Grandmother Silk, Ruddy knows it's going to be a loooong ten days. Then a snowstorm comes howling through. Ruddy and his grandmother are left without light, heat, and water-and they have no one to talk to but each other. Slowly, with the help of a chessboard, the moon, and a gorilla suit, they reach out to each other in surprising ways. Partly a survival story, this is mostly a tale of two people who think they aren't alike at all-until they look for the things they have in common. Photos described.
Ten-year-old Faith struggles to overcome her fear of horses and her feelings of jealousy toward her talented older sister when they spend the summer on a horse farm.
Young Andrew creates beautiful music on his harmonica despite his reading difficulties, and when the bullies of his Chicago neighborhood destroy his harmonica, his older sister Yolanda struggles to replace it.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.