- Table View
- List View
An invitation to picnic with the King of France sends a young boy, his papa, two big dogs, and three wild aunts dancing their way across the French countryside. When the time comes to dine with the royals, Papa's energetic dance moves catch up with him and his worn pants burst at the seams. The stage is set for a wild party that finds even the stuffiest nobles getting down in their unmentionables. Sarah Wilson's uproarious text makes for a boisterous read-aloud, but it's Catherine Stock's hilarious portrayals of cavorting courtiers and gallant guests that will have kids begging for more of this raucous summertime romp. Great spring read-aloud. Reviews"This lesson in kindness and grace in ameliorating an embarrassing situation is one that frown-ups will appreciate, while the joie de vivre of the characters, rhyme, and art will have children-who are always game for an underwear adventure-dancing to the rhythm."-School Library Journal "Kids will enjoy seeing grown-ups embarrassed and acting wacky in spirited and lushly detailed watercolor-and-ink illustrations."-San Francisco Chronicle"...a colorful summertime beat-the-heat story-and what child can resist a story about skivvies."-Kirkus ReviewsJuly/August 2008 summer reading recommendation-Nick Jr. Magazine
"A great intergenerational team." --Kirkus Reviews Gus loves basketball -- that is, basketball practice with Pete, the coach, and shooting baskets at Grandpa's house with only Grandpa's dog, Skipper, in attendance. Basketball games are another story. What if Gus misses every basket, and everybody laughs? If only his parents wouldn't come. Gus is especially unnerved by his father's shouting. Then Grandpa comes to Gus's last game and teaches him the secret of success -- to tune out the other voices and listen to his own.
Ten-year-old Justin hates that his sisters and his mama are always fussing at him. They make him feel stupid because he can't clean his room or cook. But why should he? He'd rather be outside playing. After all, cooking and cleaning is just "women's work." That's why Justin is glad when his grandfather invites him back to his ranch for the summer. Justin is sure he can get away from all the women and do some actual "men's work," such as cleaning fish, mending fences, and riding horses. But back at the ranch, Justin learns some unexpected lessons and soon realizes that anyone can do anything once they learn how.<P><P>Winner of the Coretta Scott King Medal
There seems to be no place for the smallest child in a family's busy preparations for Thanksgiving, until Grandpa steps in and they perform a vital task everyone else has forgotten.
All over the city, people from different nations are setting out in the snow. Some walk, while others take the subway, bus, or ferry. Where are they going with hopes so high? Well, they are making their way to the courthouse to begin their new lives as U.S. citizens. This book celebrates the true meaning of citizenship.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.