- Table View
- List View
Learn more about how the American government started, and what principles it operates under.
There are six units in this book focusing on historical and philosophical foundations of our country's ideas about constitutional government, creation of the Constitution, organizing of the national government, development of the Constitution, meaning of the various rights guaranteed in the Bill of Rights, expansion of rights during the last two hundred years, and finally, roles of citizens in American democracy.
Most history books tell the story of people and events of the past. This book is a history of ideas.
Many Americans have but a slight understanding of the US Constitution, the Bill of Rights, and the later amendments to which we pledge our allegiance. The lessons in this book are designed to give you, the next generation of American citizens, an understanding of the background, creation, and subsequent history of the unique system of government brought into being by our Constitution. At the same time, it will help you understand the principles and ideals that underlie and give meaning to the Constitution, a system of government by those governed.
This book is not like most history books. Most history books tell the story of people and events of the past. This book is a history of ideas. It explains the most important ideas of our Constitution and tells how they were developed. It also tells about the people and events that were important in the history of these ideas.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.