- Table View
- List View
Thirteen short (40 to 60 page) novels of fantasy full of adventure, magic, swords, sorcery, demons, monsters and so on; including -- POUL ANDERSON, The Gate of the Flying Knives--A Thieves' World tale wherein the hero ruefully decides that the rewards of chivalry are not as desirable as they may seem. SUZY McKEE CHARNAS, Unicorn Tapestry--The tale of a modern-day encounter with a vampire that explores different perceptions of the same reality. AVRAM DAVIDSON, Sleep Well of Nights--A prophetic dream leads to hidden treasure and buried secrets in the eerie jungles of South America. SIR H. RIDER HAGGARD, Black Heart and White Heart--An arrogant hunter in Zulu territory learns too late that magic serves those who believe in its power. ROBERT E. HOWARD, Red Nails--Conan the Cimmerian meets his match in a defiant, courageous female when the two are caught in a war to the death between dueling clans. JOHN JAKES, Storm in a Bottle--In a story of wizardry and betrayal, a captive attempts to break the curse of drought that is strangling the land of his overlords. FRITZ LEIBER, Ill Met in Lankhmar --The 1970 Nebula Award winner for Best Novella. Two thieves in a fantastic and awful city invite a dreadful end by stealing in others' territory. MICHAEL MOORCOCK, The Lands Beyond the World--Elric, Prince of Melibone, travels through the Crimson Gate to another world where he confronts the powerful magic of an ancestor. JANET MORRIS, A Man and His God--Another Thieves' World story about Tempus of Sanctuary who fights a terrible destiny and triumphs over his past transgressions to find himself and his own god. ANDRE NORTON, Spider Silk--A blind woman journeys to a dangerous land to obtain the secret of exquisite weaving and learns a greater secret no seeker before her has lived to tell. THOMAS BURNETT SWANN, Where Is the Bird of Fire?--A faun's heartbreaking story of the enchanted land of the gods and of the brothers Romulus and Remus before the building of Rome. JACK VANCE, Guyal of Sfere--A story of coming-of-age in a far world, in a far distant time, wherein Guyal of Sfere defies a great power in his quest for love and knowledge. ROGER ZELAZNY, Tower of Ice--In a fantastic frozen land a brave knight seeks an evil wizard, saves a princess, and forces a cataclysmic battle between good and evil.
An anthology of science fiction stories about mercenaries.<P> "Although the stories in this book are, basically, stories, meant for your enjoyment, they do show the authors' awareness of the issues and a desire to make you, too, think. That is not as grim as it looks. To most people interested in science fiction, thinking is one of life's great pleasures. It is also a necessity of survival." -- from the Introduction
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.