Discusses the lineage, physical characteristics, life span, breeding, and uses of the American saddlebred, considered to be one of the most beautiful horses in the world.
An introduction to the smallest member of the hound family, which includes its history, development, uses, and care.
Discusses the history, development, habits, uses and care of Bloodhounds
Learn about the boxer, its breeding, history and personality in this high interest book.
Introduces the bulldog, a herding dog who was originally trained to fight and is now often a family pet.
This book is a good guide for children who are interested in getting a small dog. It also covers the basic information adults might want to know, although it is geared for young children.
Offers information about the breed of small horses which gets its mine from the island of Chincoteague located off the coast of Maryland and Virginia.
This book tells about the Chow Chow dog and its history, breeding, uses and personality.
An introduction to this friendly and popular dog, which includes its history, development, uses, and care.
An introduction to this gentle, intelligent breed of herding dogs, covering its history, development, habits, and required care.
Discusses the history, development, habits, uses, and care of Dachshunds
Discusses the history, physical characteristics, care, and breeding of this dog known for its distinctive spots.
An introduction to a loyal breed sometimes used as a war dog, including its history, development, uses, and care.
An introduction to this intelligent, fearless dog, which includes its history, development, uses, and care.
An introduction to this friendly dog, which includes its history, development, uses, and care.
Discusses the history, physical characteristics, care, and breeding of one of the largest dog breeds in the world.
Discusses the history, development, habits, uses, and care of Greyhounds
An introduction to this hunting breed, known for its long reddish-brown coat, covering its history, development, habits, and required care. Part of Learning About Dogs series.
An introduction to North America's most popular dog, which includes its history, development, uses, and care.
Discusses the breeds, characteristics, history, and uses of miniature horses.
The Morgan horse is the only modern breed of horses in the world that are all descended from just one horse: Figure, more commonly known as "Justin Morgan." This fact-filled book details the history of this all-American horse, and describes the breed and its unique characteristics in detail. The Morgan horse is the first breed uniquely founded in the United States.
Introduces the history, development, uses, and care of this dog breed, known for lifesaving and search-and-rescue work.
You use electricity every day at home and at school, but do you know where it comes from? About twenty percent of our electricity comes from nuclear energy-energy released when the nucleus of an atom splits apart. To find out how power from tiny atoms of uranium turns into the power behind your light switch, step inside a nuclear power plant. In Powerhouse, author Charlotte Wilcox follows the process of creating electricity from nuclear fuel at Prairie Island, a nuclear power plant in Minnesota. Along the way, readers will learn about atoms, radiation, the problem of nuclear waste, and the future of nuclear power. Jerry Boucher's full-color photographs give a behind-the-scenes look at this important and controversial energy source.
Discusses the last truly wild equine species, which has been extinct in the wild since the 1960s but was recently reintroduced into its native habitat in Mongolia.
An Introduction to the Rottweiler, which includes its history, development, and care.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.