- Table View
- List View
Forbidden to ride after her mother's death in a riding accident, thirteen-year-old Lily nurses her mother's beloved horse, Astra, back to health, hoping that someday Astra will win the Tevis Cup endurance race.
Thirteen-year-old Callie lives on a small organic farm on the edge of the Nevada desert. Besides spending time with her best friend, Billie, Callie loves to watch a special herd of wild mustangs as they roam--sometimes playing, sometimes even battling, but always magnificent. The horse she calls Cloud Dancer and his pregnant mare Moonbeam are her favorites. But not everyone loves the wild horses. Wealthy area ranchers complain that the herds are overpopulated and in one of the Bureau of Land Management's periodic round ups, Moonbeam is seized. When the mare dies shortly after giving birth prematurely, Callie devotes herself to caring for Moon Shadow, the orphaned filly. It's touch-and-go as to whether the little mustang will even survive. But if by some miracle Moon Shadow does make it, Callie wonders, will she be able to convince her parents to let her adopt the beloved horse? Worse still, how will she find the money to buy her?Chris Platt, a former jockey, has written a dramatic, touching, and well-paced story featuring sympathetic characters and plenty of horse-filled action scenes. Information about horse behavior and the care and raising of horses is presented throughout the text and is sure to please young equine enthusiasts.
Thanks to the faith and hard work of Katie Durham, Willow King no longer has badly twisted legs. After painstaking training, the colt has gained the strength to compete in major races--and Katie is determined to prove he's a champion. Unfortunately, her new ambition presents her with the most nerve-racking challenge of her life: earning a jockey's license and riding Willow King in the Kentucky Derby. This inspiring story, a sequel to the author's award-winning first novel, is based on her real experiences as a jockey, groom, and assistant horse trainer.
For thirteen-year-old Jessie, living with her family on the dusty Wild Hawk Ranch in Nevada can be a bit lonely. Her friend Marybeth lives a few miles away, but she's two years younger than Jessie and she can sometimes be a pest. But Jessie loves the horses her father and brother break in each summer to sell to local ranchers and rodeo competitors. This year, she is determined to help train the horses, especially when she lays eyes on the wild, paint filly she names Storm Chaser. When Jessie's father tells her she is still too young to help with the horses, she deliberately disobeys him by working with the filly behind his back. Then a fire destroys the barn and Jessie's family reluctantly turns their ranch into a vacation dude ranch to earn much-needed money. But Jessie is wary of Ariel, a rude and spoiled city girl who always expects to get her way. When Ariel announces she wants to buy Storm Chaser, Jessie's already fragile world begins to crack. What can she do to keep her beloved paint from being sold?
This inspiring debut novel by a female former professional jockey and horse trainer tells the moving tale of Willow King, a colt born with crooked legs, who is saved from destruction by 13-year-old Katie Durham. Because one of Katie's own legs is shorter than the other, she feels an immediate kinship with the imperfect little colt. With painstaking care, she pulls King through arduous training until he becomes a champion.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.