- Table View
- List View
This is the story behind Colleen Stan's terrifying, seven-year-long imprisonment by Cameron Hooker as told by the district attorney who tried the case. Too bizarre to be anything but true, it is a tale of riveting intensity and gripping courtroom drama.
Colleen Stan was a sweet-natured, lively twenty-year-old when she set out to hitchhike from her home in Washington to Southern California. Seven years later she emerged from hell, the victim of a bizarre and chilling crime. Cameron and Janice Hooker had literally made her their slave - and forced her to endure all of Cameron's twisted sexual perversions. During these seven years the Hookers had two children, entertained their friends at home and held down jobs - while Colleen was held captive in a coffin-like box under their bed. This is also the story of Christine McGuire, a young, inexperienced deputy district attorney who prosecuted Cameron Hooker for kidnapping and successfully explained why Colleen - who had numerous chances to escape - stayed captive for so many years.
Assisant District Attorney Kathryn Mackay takes on the case of her lifetime, and the personal crisis of a lifetime too.
Kathryn Mackay is on the hunt for a serial killer who targets Catholic priests in this thoroughly modern thriller by New York Times bestselling author and veteran prosecutor Christine McGuire. Kathryn Mackay has had her share of triumphs and tragedies throughout her career in the California District Attorney's office. In and out of the courtroom, she's seen the best of times -- such as her marriage to Santa Rita County Sheriff Dave Granz -- and the worst of crimes, including the ones she's currently investigating: the serial murders of three local priests during the Christmas holiday season. Now it's up to Kathryn to stop the killer before he makes his final judgment. . . . But with the specter of sexual abuse and money laundering hanging high above the Church's spire, few individuals are willing to offer their confessions. So it's up to Kathryn and Dave to break the silence and learn some impossible truths -- including a devastating one of their own.
A cunning rapist has committed increasingly brutal attacks, and the investigation is in Assistant District Attorney Kathryn Mackay's hands.
In coastal Santa Rita, California, the horrifyingly similar murders of three women has the District Attorney's office reeling, and the rising political heat only adds to the juggling act of Assistant D.A. Kathryn Mackay-a divorced mother determined to make her mark in a testosterone-driven field. But when she's tapped to lead the investigation, Mackay discovers that everyone has an agenda: the ratings-hungry TV newsman who knows more about the D.A.'s moves than any outsider should: the brilliant mind-hunter from the state capital, who's eager to apply his psychological profiling techniques: and the killer himself, who begins to send Mackay cryptic, taunting notes. 'Run. run, as fast as you can. You can't catch me. I'm the Gingerbread man. And run she does--after false leads and obscure clues, through a gauntlet of medical and political pressure, into the dark tunnels of the killer's brain. As Mackay closes in, she must fight the suffocating fear that she's engaged in a deadly pas de deux with the killer, who's carefully stalking his fourth victim: her.
Assisant District Attorney Kathryn Mackay confronts a scorching controversy in the courtroom and a shattering revelation in her private life.
District Attorney Kathryn Mackay finds herself the prime murder suspect in this mesmerizing thriller by New York Times bestselling author and real-life prosecutor Christine McGuire. Judge Jemima Tucker has been brutally murdered in her chambers at the Santa Rita County courthouse -- and Kathryn Mackay vows to bring her friend's killer to justice. But when both Tucker's husband and another judge become suspects, Kathryn ends up walking a minefield of deadly accusations. Meanwhile, Kathryn and her newly reconciled lover, Sheriff Dave Granz, bring an old enemy, Robert Simmons, back into custody. But when Simmons dies unexpectedly under Kathryn's sole supervision -- and the cause of death is found to be homicide -- Kathryn finds herself fighting for her job, her family, and her life. A shocking novel of murder and betrayal, Until the Final Verdict is suspense at its finest.
Hours after her beloved boss and mentor dies, Kathryn Mackay is thrust into her biggest challenge as the new District Attorney.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.