KEY MESSAGE: The carefully revised Third Edition features expanded clinical coverage, new " Apply Your Knowledge" critical thinking questions, and a new flowchart style that makes it easier than ever for readers to focus on key physiological processes. Features such as Chemistry Review boxes provide additional resources for readers who need them, while Toolboxes and Discovery boxes provide the option of delving into more detail about physiology topics. Introduction to Physiology, The Cell: Structure and Function, Cell Metabolism, Cell Membrane Transport, Chemical Messengers, The Endocrine System: Endocrine Glands and Hormone Actions, Nerve Cells and Electrical Signaling, Synaptic Transmission and Neural Integration, The Nervous System: Central Nervous System, The Nervous System: Sensory Systems, The Nervous System: Autonomic and Motor Systems, Muscle Physiology, The Cardiovascular System: Cardiac Function, The Cardiovascular System: Blood Vessels, Blood Flow and Blood Pressure, The Cardiovascular System: Blood, The Respiratory System: Pulmonary Ventilation, The Respiratory System: Gas Exchange and Regulation of Breathing, The Urinary System: Renal Function, The Urinary System: Fluid and Electrolyte Balance, The Gastrointestinal System, Regulation of Energy Metabolism and Growth, The Reproductive System, The Immune System, The Whole Body: Integrated Physiological Responses to Exercise For all readers interested in human physiology and key physiological processes.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.