When he and his mother move into an old farmhouse in the English countryside, asthmatic, twelve-year-old Jack discovers that he can communicate with the ghosts inhabiting the house and inadvertently establishes a relationship with a tormented, malevolent spirit that threatens to destroy both his mother and himself.
At the Happy Paws Rescue Centre, every pet dreams of one thing: going home. But Ralph, Mitch, Bessie and Fred are the no-hopers: dogs so difficult or troublesome they aren't expected to ever go home. Ralph's face is scarred. Bessie can't stand to be touched. Mitch can't stop chasing cats and Fred . . . has just given up. Who'd want to adopt any of them instead of a cute little puppy? But when Happy Paws reviews its policy of never putting an unwanted pet down, time starts running out for the dogs. Can they prove that they're worth a second chance? Will there be hope for the no-hopers after all?
When her gran dies, Jess inherits Twigs - a talking cockatoo! Huge and hilarious, Twigs is Jess's best friend and, now she's starting at a new school, Jess needs a friend more than ever. But - Squawwwwk! - Twigs is noisy, and he's pushing Jess's dad to breaking point. Jess promised her gran she'd take care of Twigs, but can she make the new friends she needs to save the bird she loves? A heartwarming new story about the power of friendship from the author of GOING HOME, Cliff McNish.
When Milo couldn't stop himself from eating every scrap of food in his house in one sitting, he was worried and scared. Little did he know that this was only the beginning of the changes that he would experience. And he's not alone! Follow the adventures of six extraordinary kids as they experience life-altering changes and eventually find one another in the wasteland of Coldharbour. They are drawn together for one purpose - to save humanity from the terror of the roar. A terror that only they know exists.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.