African American history comes to life. Discover why young people all over the country are reading the Black Stars biographies of African American heroes. Here is what you want to know about the lives of great black men and women during the fabulous Harlem Renaissance: louis "satchmo" armstrong, eubie blake, thomas andrew dorsey, w. e. b. du bois, duke ellington, james reese, europe jessie, redmon fauset, marcus garvey, w. c. handy, fletcher henderson, langston hughes, zora neale hurston, hall johnson, henry johnson, oscar micheaux, philip payton jr., gertrude "ma" rainey, paul robeson, augusta savage, noble sissle, bessie smith, james van der zee, dorothy west, carter g. woodson. "The books in the Black Stars series are the types of books that would have really captivated me as a kid." -Earl G. Graves, Black Enterprise magazine. "Inspiring stories that demonstrate what can happen when ingenuity and tenacity are paired with courage and hard work." -Black Books Galore! Guide to Great African American Children's Books. "Haskins has chosen his subjects well... catching a sense of the enormous obstacles they had to overcome... Some names are familiar, but most are little-known whom Haskins elevates to their rightful place in history." -Booklist. "The broad coverage makes this an unusual resource-- a jumping-off point for deeper studies." -Horn Book.
Describes the formation of the all-black 54th Massachusetts Regiment and its valiant battle history from 1863 to 1865.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.