- Table View
- List View
African American history comes to life. Discover why young people all over the country are reading the Black Stars biographies of African American heroes. Here is what you want to know about the lives of great black men and women during the fabulous Harlem Renaissance: louis "satchmo" armstrong, eubie blake, thomas andrew dorsey, w. e. b. du bois, duke ellington, james reese, europe jessie, redmon fauset, marcus garvey, w. c. handy, fletcher henderson, langston hughes, zora neale hurston, hall johnson, henry johnson, oscar micheaux, philip payton jr., gertrude "ma" rainey, paul robeson, augusta savage, noble sissle, bessie smith, james van der zee, dorothy west, carter g. woodson. "The books in the Black Stars series are the types of books that would have really captivated me as a kid." -Earl G. Graves, Black Enterprise magazine. "Inspiring stories that demonstrate what can happen when ingenuity and tenacity are paired with courage and hard work." -Black Books Galore! Guide to Great African American Children's Books. "Haskins has chosen his subjects well... catching a sense of the enormous obstacles they had to overcome... Some names are familiar, but most are little-known whom Haskins elevates to their rightful place in history." -Booklist. "The broad coverage makes this an unusual resource-- a jumping-off point for deeper studies." -Horn Book.
Describes the formation of the all-black 54th Massachusetts Regiment and its valiant battle history from 1863 to 1865.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.