- Table View
- List View
In this remarkable book, Clyde Ford restores to us the lost treasure of African mythology, bringing to life the ancient tales and showing why they matter so much to us today. African myths convey the perennial wisdom of humanity: the creation of the world, the hero's journey, our relationship with nature, death, and resurrection From the Ashanti comes the moving account of the grief-stricken Kwasi Benefo's journey to the underworld to seek his beloved wives From Uganda we learn of the legendary Kintu, who won the love of a goddess and created a nation from a handful of isolated clans The Congo's epic hero Mwindo is the sacred warrior who shows us the path each person must travel to discover his true destiny. These and other important African myths show us the history of African Americans in a new light--as a hero's journey, a courageous passage to a hard-won victory The Hero with an African Face enriches us all by restoring this vital tradition to the world.
Charlie Noble, former-Coast-Guard-officer-turned-marine-PI, is back. This time, he is hot on the trail of a human trafficking scheme that begins in Mexico...and ends in murder. Still reeling from the untimely death of his wife, Charlie begins to warm to the idea of a second chance at true love with new girlfriend Kate Sullivan. These plans are quickly docked when boating friends Marvin and Angela Baynes come to him with a horrifying discovery-the body of an unidentified young woman impaled on the flukes of their boat anchor. The Bayneses themselves lost a child years ago. No stranger to loss, Charlie finds it impossible not to help them-even though it could mean putting his new romance in jeopardy. Charlie enlists a friend, Raven, a Native-American salvage diver. Together, the pair plunge beneath the waters of Puget Sound to seek out any clues about the identity of the dead woman and how she wound up there. But they find more bodies instead-all young, all female, all Hispanic. Soon Charlie finds himself navigating a course that leads him through the choppy waters of transporting human cargo, and right into the seedy underworld of the Northwest's sex trade. With its fresh, nautical flavor, riveting mystery, and incredible depth of humanity, Precious Cargo is a winner from Clyde Ford that is truly unique-and compulsively readable. While reading Precious Cargo, you can go online to the book's website, www. clydeford. com/onscene. aspx, click on any place name from the book and fly there with Google Earth. Once there, you can have any number of multimedia, interactive experiences: listen to the author read from the book, watch a video interview featuring Clyde, learn more about the locations, and even see live webcam footage.
A sailboat fails to arrive at its next port of call after crossing into a "live-fire" naval exercise area just north of the border known as "Whiskey Gulf." Charlie Noble is asked to investigate why the sailboat went missing, and what happened to the couple aboard. But Noble runs into a wall of secrecy erected by the American and Canadian governments, and into troubling questions about the real identity of the couple involved. Ultimately, he and his partner, Raven, set sail on the Noble Lady in a case that leads them up the Inside Passage to the remote coast of British Columbia. There, they discover a hidden cove, which harbors answers about what really happened in Whiskey Gulf. But first they must survive a vicious attack in order to return with the truth. Set in the stunning wilderness of coastal British Columbia, Whiskey Gulf is a story about unearthing secrets from the past that others would rather remain concealed forever.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.