- Table View
- List View
Though undoubtedly an academic, there was much more to J.R.R. Tolkien. He was 'kidnapped' as a baby in South Africa, orphaned, and mentally scarred from the bloody Battle of the Somme of World War I, and preferred ordinary family life and seaside holidays to his later celebrity. His major book, The Lord of the Rings, one of the most popular and successful stories of our time, was expected by its doubting publisher to make a big loss. From ordinary places that inspired Tolkien, to imaginary creatures or settings, or from his world of scholarship to the faith that sustained him, wherever you go, you will be certain to find clues and insights that explores all aspects of the incredible Tolkein phenomenon.
From the Book jacket: Whether this is your first visit or you've been there many times, you'll want to bring along this handy guide to the landscape and inhabitants of Narnia. You'll learn more about the mind behind Narnia, how Narnia relates to other imaginative worlds and children's literature, the history within the stories of Narnia, and how Narnia fits into Lewis's other work. This book will help you dig deeper into the series and its implications for understanding the Christian life. "Colin Duriez . . . provides profound insight into the brilliant mind and prolific writings of C. S. Lewis. By carefully interweaving the life experiences of Lewis with an analysis of his vast body of scholarly and popular works-especially his Chronicles of Narnia- Mr. Duriez provides the reader with new understanding and a strong motivation to read the works again and again."
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.