- Table View
- List View
The 2008 financial crisis has raised a number of questions about the best strategy for achieving sustained growth and poverty reduction in developing countries, foremost among them whether the failure of the financial system also signifies the broader failure of market-oriented capitalist systems. The Growth Commission believes that the crisis was not a failure of market-oriented systems and that an outward-looking strategy, as suggested in the original Growth Report (published in May 2008), remains broadly valid. The following questions are discussed in this special report: - How has the economic landscape changed in the wake of the financial crisis of 2008? - What factors contributed to the onset of the financial crisis and its transmission from advanced to developing countries? - Should the crisis be interpreted as a failure of financial-sector regulation or as a broader failure of market-based systems? - What effects will the financial crisis have on the prospects for economic growth in developing countries? - How will the crisis impact the formulation of developing country growth strategies going forward? - What is the outlook for free trade and a growth model that capitalizes on the global economy? - How do actions by the advanced economies in response to the crisis affect the choices of policy makers in the developing world? - What is the appropriate role of government in the post-crisis economy? - How will the lessons of the crisis affect strategies for financial-sector development in developing countries? - What are the prospects for improved international oversight of global finance and cross-border financial flows?
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.