- Table View
- List View
In No Medium, Craig Dworkin looks at works that are blank, erased,clear, or silent, writing critically and substantively about works for which there would seem to benot only nothing to see but nothing to say. Examined closely, these ostensibly contentless works ofart, literature, and music point to a new understanding of media and the limits of the artisticobject. Dworkin considers works predicated on blank sheets of paper, from a fictional collection ofpoems in Jean Cocteau's Orphée to the actual publication of a ream of typingpaper as a book of poetry; he compares Robert Rauschenberg's Erased De KooningDrawing to the artist Nick Thurston's erased copy of Maurice Blanchot's The Spaceof Literature (in which only Thurston's marginalia were visible); and he scrutinizes thesexual politics of photographic representation and the implications of obscured or obliteratedsubjects of photographs. Reexamining the famous case of John Cage's 4'33",Dworkin links Cage's composition to Rauschenberg's White Paintings, KenFriedman's Zen for Record (and Nam June Paik's Zen for Film),and other works, offering also a "guide to further listening" that surveys more than 100scores and recordings of "silent" music. Dworkin argues that we should understand medianot as blank, base things but as social events, and that there is no medium, understood inisolation, but only and always a plurality of media: interpretive activities taking place insocially inscribed space.
The essays collected here by Marjorie Perloff and Craig Dworkin break that critical silence to readdress some of the fundamental connections between poetry and sound connections that go far beyond traditional metrical studies.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.