- Table View
- List View
The most widely read publication describing the unique geographical, rich historical, and contrasting socio-economical aspects of Washington, Oregon, and Idaho. Readers of all ages benefit from its effective structure of seven units and twenty-four chapters discussing the region's past, present, and future. Each reader's appreciation and understanding of the Pacific Northwest is enhanced by detailed maps, pertinent vignettes, charts, graphs, timelines, an interactive CD, and archival and color photographs.
The Pacific Northwest is one of the most scenic areas in the United States. The region consists of the three states of Idaho, Oregon, and Washington. Today, over ten million people call the Pacific Northwest home. The region is physically diverse. It has a long, irregular coastline; numerous hills and rugged mountain ranges; a large lava plateau; and hundreds of fresh water bodies. Level land is a rare sight!
An informative text elaborating on the complex past and present histories of this state along with its starkly different landscapes.
Washington: A State of Contrasts Second Edition is an engaging narration that describes Washington's physical and human history from Rodinia to the present. The Second Edition's seamless chronology of historical events describes the close inter-relationship between nature and humans in the development of the state.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.