- Table View
- List View
From the book: Charles Fort was convinced that there is a great deal going on in our universe which man has not as yet been able to explain. He was, of course, right. Fort amassed reports of events allegedly observed by humans around the world. Fort's books are full of reports of strange phenomena-such as those similar in every way to today's reports of flying saucers but centuries before they were called flying saucers. Boole gave scientists a powerful tool for attacking problems when the obvious approaches refused to yield informative results. Boole employed reductio ad absurdum. He exhausted all the impossibles and thereby isolated a "very probable" answer. Charles Fort, failing to gain the publishers'-and thereby society's-consideration of his positive theories, left world society with a Boolean-like confrontation of illogical events. Charles Fort as a man of true vision purposefully inverted the equations. By getting the publishers to publish the absurd, he proved his point that the publishers published only the absurd.
15 sci-fi short stories by various authors.
Do not fold, bend or mutilate was how our cybernetic society began, how will it end? The varied answers to that question have proved to be fertile ground for some of the greatest science fiction imaginations. But perhaps we shouldn't look too closely into the future of cybernetics. It may be that the survival capacity of thinking machines is greater than that of the maker ... This collection of short science fiction stories includes: The New Father Christmas by Brian Aldiss, Answer by Fredric Brown, Fool's Mate by Robert Sheckley, Quixote and the Windmill by Poul Anderson, Two-handed Engine by Henry Kuttner and C. L. Moore, First to Serve by Algis Budrys, I Made You by Walter Miller, Monkey Wrench by Gordon Dickson, Imposter by Philip K. Dick, Someday by Isaac Asimov, Short in the Chest by Idris Seabright, Nightmare Number Three by Stephen Vincent Benet
Martin had all the comforts that Earth could provide. As a top-flight reporter he traveled, met beautiful girls, had enough money and plenty of fun. Then one day he visited the piped recently captured on Brecht's Planet and kept as a curiosity at the zoo. Suddenly the earth trembled, the world went black ... and when he awoke he was inside the cage, scrabbling against the bars with three-fingered, scaly breen hands ... and what happened to the mind of that biped?
Rule Golden Synopsis: If you do it to another, you will pay. This is the new law. You will live through what you want to happen to the other--new Golden Rule. Natural State Synopsis: New York City is a sterile place where fully mind-conditioned people live in complete comfort. However, the Muckfeet--people who are not of the city--live outside and pose a threat to New York city and her sister cities, Chicago, Frisco, and other remaining large cities. Alva Gunstad, a "realie" star, is sent out amongst the Muckfeet to take what he can for New York, spying, planning to return with what he has managed to steal from the Muckfeet. His trip ends up teaching him far more than he has planned, and he finishes off in a surprising way. The Dying Man Synopsis: Dio the Planner is dying after an incredibly long life. How are those around him going to take it?
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.