- Table View
- List View
This book provides an elaborate defence of the claim that our capacity to understand intentional actions in terms of reasons has a decidedly sociocultural basis. It advances and explicates the hypothesis that children only come by the requisite framework for such understanding and master its practical application by being exposed to and engaging in a distinctive kind of narrative practice.
Most of what humans do and experience is best understood in terms of dynamicallyunfolding interactions with the environment. Many philosophers and cognitive scientists nowacknowledge the critical importance of situated, environment-involving embodied engagements as ameans of understanding basic minds -- including basic forms of human mentality. Yet many of thesesame theorists hold fast to the view that basic minds are necessarily or essentially contentful --that they represent conditions the world might be in. In this book, Daniel Hutto and Erik Myinpromote the cause of a radically enactive, embodied approach to cognition that holds that some kindsof minds -- basic minds -- are neither best explained by processes involving the manipulation ofcontents nor inherently contentful. Hutto and Myin oppose the widely endorsed thesis that cognitionalways and everywhere involves content. They defend the counter-thesis that there can beintentionality and phenomenal experience without content, and demonstrate the advantages of theirapproach for thinking about scaffolded minds and consciousness
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.