- Table View
- List View
This book provides an elaborate defence of the claim that our capacity to understand intentional actions in terms of reasons has a decidedly sociocultural basis. It advances and explicates the hypothesis that children only come by the requisite framework for such understanding and master its practical application by being exposed to and engaging in a distinctive kind of narrative practice.
Most of what humans do and experience is best understood in terms of dynamicallyunfolding interactions with the environment. Many philosophers and cognitive scientists nowacknowledge the critical importance of situated, environment-involving embodied engagements as ameans of understanding basic minds -- including basic forms of human mentality. Yet many of thesesame theorists hold fast to the view that basic minds are necessarily or essentially contentful --that they represent conditions the world might be in. In this book, Daniel Hutto and Erik Myinpromote the cause of a radically enactive, embodied approach to cognition that holds that some kindsof minds -- basic minds -- are neither best explained by processes involving the manipulation ofcontents nor inherently contentful. Hutto and Myin oppose the widely endorsed thesis that cognitionalways and everywhere involves content. They defend the counter-thesis that there can beintentionality and phenomenal experience without content, and demonstrate the advantages of theirapproach for thinking about scaffolded minds and consciousness
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.