This book provides a description of the generalized two layer surface complexation model, data treatment procedures, and thermodynamic constants for sorption of metal cations and anions on gibbsite, the most common form of aluminum oxide found in nature and one of the most abundant minerals in soils, sediments, and natural waters. The book provides a synopsis of aluminum oxide forms and a clearly defined nomenclature. Compilations of available data for sorption of metal cations and anions on gibbsite are presented, and the results of surface complexation model fitting of these data are given. The consistency of the thermodynamic surface complexation constants extracted from the data is examined through development of linear free energy relationships which are also used to predict thermodynamic constants for ions for which insufficient data are available to extract constants. The book concludes with a comparison of constants extracted from data for sorption on gibbsite with those determined previously for hydrous ferric oxide (HFO), hydrous manganese oxide (HMO), and goethite.The overall objective of this book is the development and presentation of an internally consistent thermodynamic database for sorption of inorganic cations and anions on gibbsite, an abundant and reactive mineral in soils, sediments, and aquatic systems. Its surface has a high affinity for sorption of metal cations and anions, including radionuclides. The gibbsite database will enable simulation and prediction of the influence of sorption on the fate of these chemical species in natural systems and treatment processes in which aluminum oxides are abundant. It thus will help to advance the practical application of surface complexation modeling.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.