- Table View
- List View
The new, Third Edition of How the Brain Learns continues to focus on helping educators turn research on brain functioning into practical classroom strategies. This revised edition includes information on how the brain processes information and how this helps students learn, tips on maximizing student retention using "down time," and such familiar pedagogy from previous editions as the Practitioner's Corner, Key Points to Ponder, and pre- and post-assessments to measure the reader's knowledge. New to the third edition is: Updated information on the Information Processing Model to reflect newer terminology and understandings about memory systems Updated and exciting new research about language acquisition and how the brain learns to read An expanded chapter on thinking skills including the recently revised version of Bloom's Taxonomy More examples of how emotions influence learning and memory New Practitioner's Corners An updated resource section that includes additional books and Internet sites More primary sources for those who wish to review the actual research studies
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.