- Table View
- List View
You're about to be an eyewitness to the ten crucial days in Abraham Lincoln's life, including: A tragic loss that sets a boy on a course for greatness. A career sacrificed to protest an unjust war. A state resorting to treason to preserve slavery. A president who learns the most difficult decisions are made alone. And a promise made to every citizen that American's salves will be free.
You're about to be an eyewitness to ten crucial days in Anne Frank's life, including: A wrenching decision to flee Germany, A chilling letter that sent her family into hiding, The gift of her one true confidante - her diary, A sickening betrayal to the Nazis, and a tragedy in the concentration camps just before liberation. These days and five others shook Anne's world - and yours.
You're about to be an eyewitness to the top ten days in Ben Franklin's life, including: A cunning escape from a cruel brother. A shrewd plan to save the colonies. A treacherous spy game in Paris. A shocking battle with a vengeful aristocrat. And a last-minute triumph that bound American together. These days and five others shook Franklin's world- and yours.
You're about to be an eyewitness to the ten crucial days in Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.'s life, including: His faith in peace leads to a surprising protest. Police injustice shocks the nation awake. A personal sacrifice challenges prejudice and racism. A fearless march demands rights for all Americans. And an immortal speech inspires the world.
"The Admiral [Columbus] sailed west-southwest, at the rate of ten miles an hour and occasionally twelve, and at other times seven, running between day and night fifty-nine leagues; he told the men only forty-four. Here the crew could stand it no longer, they complained of the long voyage, but the Admiral encouraged them as best he could, giving them hopes of the profits that they might have. And he added that it was useless to murmur because he had come in search of the Indies, and was going to continue until he found them with God's help." Figures from our history come alive as we read their words and the words of those who were with them. An exciting, fascinating and easy-to-read history.
Have Witches always flown on broomsticks? Where does magic come from? How did J. K. Rowling pick those weird names? Rowling fills Harry Potter's world with real history and famous legends from around the world. This book tells all about them. Discover the astonishing origins behind your favorite characters, scenes, beasts, and everything else too. From Alchemists to Unicorns; Basilisks to Veela, it's all here in this handy guide. Includes notations on Stone through Goblet as well as the HP textbooks.
Michelle Obama grew up on Chicago's South Side, and while the world outside her door was chaotic and ever-changing, her family provided a stable environment in which she could grow and flourish. This look at Michelle Obama's life and the turning points that shaped her shows how a girl from a working class background could rise to become one of the most influential women of her day. But this is more than a straight chronological retelling. This book looks at Michelle Obama's life story within the context of the larger movements in African American history: slavery, freedom, the Reconstruction era, the Civil Rights movement, and finally, her own era. History is what has shaped Michelle and challenged her. And ultimately, not only has she overcome any obstacles put before her, she has carved out her own place in history as well. Includes 16 pages of color photos.
You're about to be an eyewitness to the top ten days in Thomas Edison's life, including: An instinctive moment of bravery that launched a career A lucky break that freed him for a life of invention An incredible boast that he quickly proved true A flash of insight that lit the world And the creation of our favorite pastime, the movies. These days and five others shook Edison's world - and yours.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.