What was life like millions of years ago? The answer lies deep underground, in a place once home to a ferocious predator much larger than most animals walking around today. Through photographs and detailed illustrations, readers will learn how the secrets buried in a midwestern hillside helped scientists understand early life on Earth. This book's simple but informative format allows readers to follow along as paleontologist Matt Forir and his team of experts unravel a prehistoric mystery.
When Inchworm misunderstands a conversation between Mama Bug and her baby, he warns Toad who tells Rabbit. Rabbit tips off Mouse who alerts Fox. Before long they've concocted a monster of a rumor that is flat-out funny! This Step 2 story has basic vocabulary and short sentences. It is perfect for emergent readers.From the Trade Paperback edition.
It's time for YOU! Pick your favorite spot to read. This is going to be a great book! What this book is about . . . Paul Bunyan: My Story Paul Bunyan is a mighty lumberjack with tons of tall tales to tell. Sit back and enjoy as he shares them in his own special way.
Glamorous, swashbuckling, daring adventurers? Pirates have had good publicity for a long time. But they were really a bunch of misfits, thugs, and ne'er-do-wells who spent most of their time bored, waiting for a few moments of excitement and rich booty that could very well get them wounded or killed, or captured and executed. Still, a pirate's life was chosen by many, and this poetry collection describes the highs and lows and everything in between for those who swore the oath of the Brotherhood.
Johnny Appleseed was an important historical figure, well known for planting apple orchards across the new frontier. But he was also a master storyteller! In his own folksy voice, Johnny Appleseed tells his story to a couple of entranced children in this fictionalized Step 2 title. Readers learn how he started planting apple trees--and about some of the myths and true stories of his life.From the Trade Paperback edition.
Illus. in full color. "A comedy about a menagerie of barnyard animals who mistakenly think the sun has forgotten to rise. Designed for children just beginning to read, the story's vocabulary is simple, yet is smoothly written. A good choice."--Booklist.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.