- Table View
- List View
People around the world are increasingly working with their own bodies to restore balance. They're using medicinals found in nature to avoid the side effects of antibiotics and turning to traditions that have passed the test of time. The oldest medical system of all is Ayurveda, which dates back 5,000 years to its origins in India. In The Chopra Center Herbal Handbook, Deepak Chopra, M.D., and David Simon, M.D., draw on the forty most important herbs of Ayurveda, from aloe and amrit to ginger and winter cherry, to create a practical, popular reference book that shows how to strengthen immunity, rejuvenate the body, boost energy, and detoxify the system.Each listing in The Chopra Center Herbal Handbook contains botanical information, scientific research, instructions on using the herb, a line drawing, precautions, and most important, the specific ailments each herb is best suited to remedy, including those involving digestion, mind and emotions, women's and men's health matters, metabolism, pain, arthritis and inflammation, circulation, and many more.
The crime-infested intersection of West Fayette and Monroe Streets is well-known--and cautiously avoided--by most of Baltimore. But this notorious corner's 24-hour open-air drug market provides the economic fuel for a dying neighborhood. David Simon, an award-winning author and crime reporter, and Edward Burns, a 20-year veteran of the urban drug war, tell the chilling story of this desolate crossroad.Through the eyes of one broken family--two drug-addicted adults and their smart, vulnerable 15-year-old son, DeAndre McCollough, Simon and Burns examine the sinister realities of inner cities across the country and unflinchingly assess why law enforcement policies, moral crusades, and the welfare system have accomplished so little. This extraordinary book is a crucial look at the price of the drug culture and the poignant scenes of hope, caring, and love that astonishingly rise in the midst of a place America has abandoned.
In a new book that extends the consciousness-based approach of megabestseller Ageless Body, Timeless Mind, Deepak Chopra, M.D., and his colleague David Simon, M.D., present ten practical steps that will enable readers to reset their biological age (which determines how we look and feel) as much as fifteen years lower than their chronological age. The idea for this book was born in early spring 2000, when Dr. Chopra was being interviewed on Larry King Live! As the conversation turned to aging, Dr. Chopra listed 10 steps we can take to reverse its effects. The phones at the television studio and the Chopra Center for Well Being lit up with calls from people wanting to know more. This phenomenal response clearly called for a book on the topic, and here it is. At the heart of Grow Younger, Live Longer is a complete, simple-to-follow program for personal renewal, complete with specific supplements, exercises, and mediation techniques. Among the steps are: --Change your perception of time --Access restful awareness and restful sleep --Nourish your body with anti-aging foods --Eliminate toxins --Make love the most important thing in your life.
The Wisdom of Healing, by David Simon, M.D., is an engaging, thoroughly practical guide to the many benefits of mind body medicine, in particular those derived from the ancient Indian medical system known as Ayurveda. In Ayurveda, David Simon has found a system based on individuality--on our unique responses to food, exercise, stress, medicine, surgery, and a wide range of external factors. By using the mind body questionnaire that begins on page 51 of The Wisdom of Healing, you can establish your own mind body type and find a daily routine that is ideally suited to creating optimal health for you. In these pages you will also learn how to use food as medicine; relaxation techniques; healing breath and neuromuscular exercises; techniques for detoxification, purification, and rejuvenation; and strategies for addressing such specific conditions as reproduction and pregnancy, aging, diabetes, heart disease, cancer, and chronic pain. Intermingled with medical advice is the story of the author's journey as a young medical student, his disappointment with the traditional emphasis on the mechanics of disease and diagnosis, and his discovery of a medical science that focuses on the patient in its strategies for achieving and maintaining optimal health. By integrating this book's information into your life you will become as nature intended--restored to optimal health in body, mind, and spirit, free to experience the joy in every moment.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.