From the author of "Sky Carver" comes a riveting account of an unwilling heroine's quest. It's been four years since Raven fled Baron Cutter's estate-four years since her mother, Roxaine, failed to show at the rendezvous. They were bonded servants then. Now, Raven, at 15, is an outlaw and a powerful mage--she can change into a bird at will. But she is haunted by the past: Did her mother abandon her? Or did Raven desert Roxaine in her hour of need? Driven by a desire to know what happened that night, Raven returns to the Baron's estate. What she discovers is beyond her imagining, and she is left with a choice: escape a second time or help the mother whose will is as strong as her own. Vivid details and amusing characters add depth to Raven's intricately created world, where a girl must look beyond magic--and herself--to save what is most important.
Thomas Painter was born with the wrong name. Though his father was a brilliant painter, Thomas couldn't be less of one. His talent is woodcarving. Yet because he lives in a place where one's name dictates his trade, he is forced to be a painter's apprentice. Destiny intervenes when a tree branch falls from the sky. For the branch, at least in Thomas's hands, is a magic wand. Thomas renames himself Carver and sets off downriver in search of someone who can teach him to use the wand. Accompanied by Raven (the bemagicked girl who dropped the wand in the first place) and the bondservant Fireboy, Carver ventures into a world filled with wonders, some glorious, some terrible, and some beyond his imagining. Masterful storytelling and appealing, memorable characters mark this journey into a magical, beautifully realized world readers won't soon forget.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.