- Table View
- List View
From the author of "Sky Carver" comes a riveting account of an unwilling heroine's quest. It's been four years since Raven fled Baron Cutter's estate-four years since her mother, Roxaine, failed to show at the rendezvous. They were bonded servants then. Now, Raven, at 15, is an outlaw and a powerful mage--she can change into a bird at will. But she is haunted by the past: Did her mother abandon her? Or did Raven desert Roxaine in her hour of need? Driven by a desire to know what happened that night, Raven returns to the Baron's estate. What she discovers is beyond her imagining, and she is left with a choice: escape a second time or help the mother whose will is as strong as her own. Vivid details and amusing characters add depth to Raven's intricately created world, where a girl must look beyond magic--and herself--to save what is most important.
Thomas Painter was born with the wrong name. Though his father was a brilliant painter, Thomas couldn't be less of one. His talent is woodcarving. Yet because he lives in a place where one's name dictates his trade, he is forced to be a painter's apprentice. Destiny intervenes when a tree branch falls from the sky. For the branch, at least in Thomas's hands, is a magic wand. Thomas renames himself Carver and sets off downriver in search of someone who can teach him to use the wand. Accompanied by Raven (the bemagicked girl who dropped the wand in the first place) and the bondservant Fireboy, Carver ventures into a world filled with wonders, some glorious, some terrible, and some beyond his imagining. Masterful storytelling and appealing, memorable characters mark this journey into a magical, beautifully realized world readers won't soon forget.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.