The book is designed to provide a theoretical introduction to the field of active assessment, a practical guide to the development of assessment tools for scientific inquiry and a case study of a specific development and implementation process of assessment in a scientific inquiry program. As currently designed the book would have two sections: the first, theoretical and practical developing the concepts of how assessment is developed and implemented and the second section, a case study from research work conducted in the outreach program of the Bacteriophage Institute of Pittsburgh. The book is designed for a wide market of scientists involved in scientific education laboratory work. As with the original research project, this book breaks new ground in the area of scientific education and assessment and at this current time there is no book or research monograph that explicates a serious, comprehensive approach to the assessment of scientific inquiry. It is important to note that according to all the central bodies involved in science education (see the National Research Council's standards for science education) that the use of scientific inquiry is the preferred method of teaching science. Accordingly a book of this type should provide an important service for all active scientific inquiry programs in that it presents for the first time a concept and method for assessing scientific inquiry on the undergraduate and graduate levels. This book could provide an interesting answer to this situation of a required educational context without developed methodologies for evaluation.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.