- Table View
- List View
He is Sir Adam Sinclair: nobleman, physician, scholar - and Adept. A man of learning and power, he practices ancient arts unknown to the 20th century.
The Berning Stone is a 300 page good quality conventional fantasy novel written by Deborah Turner Harris and first published in 1987. It is the first book in The Mages of Garillon Series, and it comes before the Gauntlet of Malice. The action turns around a code of magic described here: "The power we call the Magia," said Forgoyle, "is nothing less than the Divine capacity for creation and destruction. As a source of supernatural energy, it is neither good nor evil-until an adept taps that power through his magestone. Why do you suppose the Order has so rigorously insisted the Magia be used only for healing? Because healing is selfless. If the Magia were tapped for selfish ambition, there is no way of predicting what evil might follow." He gave Caradoc a searching look. "That is also why we open our ranks only to those who can be relied upon to uphold the Order's values-peace, wholeness, sobriety. "You have it in you to become the greatest mage of your generation. In all the years you have studied with me, I've yet to find the limits to your potential. "You have the power, Caradoc. But not the discipline. "And this makes you, potentially, a very dangerous man."
The sequel to The Adept finds the Adept, in his guise as psychiatrist Adam Sinclair, continuing his battle againsts the forces of Darkness, embodied in the druidic cult, the Lodge of the Lynx, which threatens all of Scotland.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.