- Table View
- List View
He is Sir Adam Sinclair: nobleman, physician, scholar - and Adept. A man of learning and power, he practices ancient arts unknown to the 20th century.
The Berning Stone is a 300 page good quality conventional fantasy novel written by Deborah Turner Harris and first published in 1987. It is the first book in The Mages of Garillon Series, and it comes before the Gauntlet of Malice. The action turns around a code of magic described here: "The power we call the Magia," said Forgoyle, "is nothing less than the Divine capacity for creation and destruction. As a source of supernatural energy, it is neither good nor evil-until an adept taps that power through his magestone. Why do you suppose the Order has so rigorously insisted the Magia be used only for healing? Because healing is selfless. If the Magia were tapped for selfish ambition, there is no way of predicting what evil might follow." He gave Caradoc a searching look. "That is also why we open our ranks only to those who can be relied upon to uphold the Order's values-peace, wholeness, sobriety. "You have it in you to become the greatest mage of your generation. In all the years you have studied with me, I've yet to find the limits to your potential. "You have the power, Caradoc. But not the discipline. "And this makes you, potentially, a very dangerous man."
The sequel to The Adept finds the Adept, in his guise as psychiatrist Adam Sinclair, continuing his battle againsts the forces of Darkness, embodied in the druidic cult, the Lodge of the Lynx, which threatens all of Scotland.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.