- Table View
- List View
As featured in Newsweek, Time, USA Today, and on Oprah, Dateline NBC, MTV and 20/20, this leading sexuality educator now helps parents guide their children through the difficult adolescent years--from the author of From Diapers to Dating. Debra Haffner's valuable, award-winning book first book on raising sexually healthy children, From Diapers to Dating, helps parents through the infant-to-age-12 period. Her sequel, Beyond the Big Talk, now guides them through the difficult adolescent years, when they are likely to confront such issues as peer pressure, dating and parties, alcohol and drugs, harassment, abstinence, and much more. Organized by age group--middle school (grades seven and eight), early high school (grades nine and ten), late high school (grades eleven and twelve), and beyond (ages 18 and up), each section provides: "Values Exercises" to help parents decide their own beliefs on various topics, and how to communicate them to their teen. "Special Issues" advice on topics such as eating disorders, date rape, sexual violence, and dealing with your teen's questions about your own sexual history. Advice on finding "teachable moments" with your teens--entry points into discussions on important topics in television, in the movies, and in your daily lives. A frank and supportive foreword by Haffner's teen-age daughter, Alyssa, gives a young person's perspective on the challenges teens face every day. An extensive Appendix offers a wealth of books, websites, and organizations for both teens and their parents. In her trademark "realistic, practical, and informative" style (Kirkus Reviews), Haffner's values-oriented approach is an invaluable resource to both parents and children.
This widely recommended parenting guide offers a wealth of practical techniques to help you identify and communicate your own values about sexuality to your children, infants to age twelve. In this revised edition, acclaimed parenting educator Debra Haffner covers the latest research and addresses issues of timely concern, including Internet safety. The book includes: "Values Exercises" to help you identify and communicate your beliefs to your children "Special Issues" to advise you on discussing difficult topics "Teachable Moments" to help you recognize opportunities or entry points into a discussion of important issues. "I believe it is up to you and your partner to decide on the messages and values you want to give your child about sexuality," Haffner writes. "It is your right and your responsibility to share them with your child."
A provocative new book that debunks the myths, validates the concerns, and advises parents on how to keep their children safe and healthy in a world so different from the one in which they grew up. Has raising children become more difficult, or are parents unnecessarily alarmed by the constant stream of stories and statistics in the media? How do those reports relate to their children? What's fact? What's exaggeration, or misinterpretation? These are some of the questions that parenting expert Debra Haffner, author of the award-winning books From Diapers to Dating and Beyond the Big Talk, answers in her new book. She addresses head-on the good and bad news about 21st-century parents' concerns: stress, self-esteem, drinking, achievement, drugs, Internet safety, cell phones, Facebook, depression, sports, nutrition, bullying, faith, abstinence, and sex. With compassion and clarity, backed by extensive research, Haffner provides invaluable insight into the world of children today, along with practical and reassuring tips for parents on how to tackle many of the day-to-day challenges.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.