- Table View
- List View
Harsha Vardhana became the king of Kanauj and Thanesar in c. CE 606, and transferred his capital from Thanesar to Kanauj shortly afterwards. He ruled till CE 648. The union of these two powerful kingdoms helped Harsha extend his influence and jurisdiction over other states in north India. The grandeur and power of Kanauj under Harsha was apparently so great that, according to a contemporary text, the expression 'you want Kanauj' was used as a proverb, meaning 'you want the impossible'. This vividly-imagined novel starts in the happy environs of the palace of Thanesar, where Harsha and his siblings are growing up. But soon after his sister Rajyasri's wedding, things start to go wrong. And Rajyasri wonders, is he really the loving brother he seems to be, or is he a calculating man who will stop at nothing to gain the throne, even murder?
A story about Gopal, son of a barber from a small village who went on to become the jester in King Krishna Chandra's kingdom.
Everyone agreed that Raman of Tenali was very clever. As a boy, he exasperated people with his mischief just as much as he impressed them with his intelligence. As jester in the court of King Krishna Devaraya, Tenali continued to entertain and annoy the king and courtiers in equal measure. But underlying the buffoonery and audacious exploits was a keen concern for truth and a desire to bring to light the follies of men and society. This collection of eighteen stories contains all the wit and wisdom that make the stories of Tenali Raman so widely read and well loved.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.