- Table View
- List View
In this book you will learn about the great civilizations of the ancient world. You will find out who built the great pyramids of Egypt, how the rulers of China and Rome conquered huge empires, and why powerful ideas such as the Ten Commandments and Greek democracy shaped the world.
Geography is a field of study that tries to make sense of the world around us. It helps us understand how people, places, and environments came to be and how they affect each other. When geographers look at something on Earth, they ask questions. Where is it? Why is it there? How did it get there? How does it affect the people living there? How does it affect the natural environment in this area? That "something" could be as ordinary as a nearby factory. Or it could be as extraordinary as a distant, fire-belching volcano. To answer such questions, geographers look at the world in spatial terms
History Alive! The United States Through Industrialism is probably unlike any other history program you have ever encountered. Perhaps you have been in history classes where you listen to the teacher and then read a textbook and answer chapter questions. Does this approach make you excited about learning history? Most students would say no, and educational researchers would tend to agree. Researchers have discovered new ways of reaching all students in the diverse classroom. This program relies on three of their theories.
This book on Medieval and Early Modern Times contains topics on Rome and Byzantium, Islamic Civilization, Civilizations in Sub-Saharan Africa, Civilizations in the Americas, Civilizations in East Asia, Europe in the Middle Ages and Early Modern Europe.
World history is the story of many lands and peoples. It is an exciting story filled with remarkable men and women, amazing discoveries, and great adventures. It is also often a tragic story of war, hunger, and human suffering.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.