- Table View
- List View
Featuring the top ten stories of 1985 including: What Makes Us Human by Stephen Donaldson, The Picture Man by John Dalmas, Cash Crop by Connie Willis, We Remember Babylon by Ian Watson, Press Enter by John Varley, Salvador by Lucius Shepard, The Aliens Who Knew, I Mean Everything by George Alec Effinger, Bloodchild by Octavia E. Butler, The Coming of the Goonga by Gary W. Shockley, and Medra by Tanith Lee.
This is an anthology of science fiction and fantasy stories selected by Donald A. Wollheim as best of the year 1986, including: Earthgate by J. Brian Clarke, On the Dream Channel Panel by Ian Watson, The Gods of Mars by Gardner Dozios, Jack Dann and Michael Swanwick, The Jaguar Hunter by Lucius Shepard, Sailing to Byzantium by Robert Silverberg, Webrider by Jayge Carr, With Virgil Oddum at the East Pole Harlan Ellison, The Curse of Kings, Connie Willis, Fermi and Frost by Frederik Pohl, Pots by C. J. Cherryh
This is an anthology of science fiction stories written in 1987, selected by the noted editor Donald Wollheim and includes: Permafrost by Roger Zelazny, Timerider by Doris Egan, Pretty Boy Crossover by Pat Cadigan, R&R by Lucius Shepard, Lo, How an Oak E'er Blooming by Suzette Haden Elgin, Dream in a Bottle by Jerry Meredith and D. E. Smirl, Into Gold by Tanith Lee, The Lions Are Asleep This Night by Howard Waldrop, Against Babylon by Robert Silverberg, and Strangers on Paradise by Damon Knight
An anthology of science fiction stories selected by the editors of DAW books as being the best of 1988 including The Pardoner's Tale by Robert Silverberg, Rachel in Love by Pat Murphy, America by Orson Scott Card, Crying in the Rain by Tanith Lee, The Sun Spider by Lucius Shepard, Angel by Pat Cadigan, Forever Yours, Anna by Kate Wilhelm, Second Going by James Tiptree, Jr., Dinosaurs by Walter Jon Williams, and All Fall Down by Don Sakers.
From an alien contact humans would never know they'd made, to one woman's infinite existences in an infinity of alternate worlds, to a future where society's rebels live precariously on the sides of towering skyscrapers--welcome to the day after tomorrow in this twenty-fourth annual collection of the most innovative and well-written future visions of the year.
TOP NOTCH RELIABLE AUTHENTIC EXCELLENT BEST OF THE BEST HIGHLY RECOMMENDED These are just a few of the favorable comments made by reviewers about this series in past years. They will be made again for this prime and authentic selection of the superior science fiction stories of the year past. It is a DAW tradition that the "World's Best" is not merely the first of its kind each year but that it holds up as the most solidly certain selection of the finest and most memorable science fiction stories by the writers, old and new, of the highest talent. THE 1975 ANNUAL WORLD'S BEST SF is always what its name implies. A DAW BOOKS ORIGINAL-- NEVER BEFORE IN PAPERBACK
This book is an anthology of 14 science fiction short stories from Europe, including France, Holland, Italy, Norway, Germany, Belgium, Sweden, Spain and Denmark, translated to English. This book includes Party Line by Gerard Klein (France), Pairpuppets by Manuel Van Loggrem (Holland), The Scythe by Sandro Sandrelli (Itally), A Whiter Shade of Pale by Jon Bing (Norway), Paradise 3000 by Herbert W. Franke (Germany), My Eyes, They Burn! by Eddy G. Bertin (Belgium), A Problem in Bionics by Pierre Barbet (France), The King and the Dollmaker by Wolfgang Jeschke (Germany), Codemus by Tor Age Bringsvaerd (Norway), Rainy Day Revolution No. 39 by Luigi Cossi (Italy), Nobody Here But Us Shadows by Sam J. Lundwall (Sweden), Round and Round and Round Again by Domingo Santos (Spain), Planet for Sale by Niels E. Nielson (Denmark), and Ysolde by Nathalie-Charles Hennesberg (France).
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ���DAISY Text with Images���.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.