- Table View
- List View
A brand-new edition of the classic novel.A quiet mission of assassination is no sweat for legendary agent Matt Helm, until a shapely foreign agent he never got around to finishing off lures him into a strange trek in the wilds of northern Mexico, and a Russian missile smuggled out of Cuba falls into the hands of a political fanatic much too close to home.
Matt Helm, one-time special agent for the American government during the Second World War, has left behind his violent past to raise a family in Santa Fe, New Mexico. When a former colleague turns rogue and kidnaps his daughter, Helm is forced to return to his former life as a deadly and relentless assassin. Originally released in the era of the James Bond novels, these novels have been out of print and unavailable for almost 20 years. They were considered grittier and more realistic than Bond, garnering them critical praise and an ardent audience.
On a lonely heath in northern Scotland they recovered the body of the third agent sent to complete a tricky mission. He had died from bubonic plague. Somewhere on the moors was a half-crazed scientific genius who could kill millions, and it was Helm's job to get him, with the help of a beautiful American operative and a deadly Russian one.
A brand-new edition of the classic novel.The department is concerned about professional assassin and counter-agent Matt Helm. Having been given a distasteful assignment - assaulting a fellow agent in order to establish her cover in an top-secret operation - the woman is now dead. Alone in Chesapeake Bay, and pursued by his own government, Helm must complete the dead agent's assignment and assassinate an enemy operative. Unless his employers get to him first..."Actually my 1993 novel, Without Remorse was written as a homage to Matt Helm, but with a Navy SEAL in the main role." - Tom Clancy
It was not a peaceful way to die, but there was nothing Matt Helm could do for his fellow agent. He had found him in a Canadian motel room, his once-handsome face eaten away, corroded by acid. Scratch one agent. The women wouldn't be lining up for him now. But it created further problems. The most likely culprit was a woman Helm had orders to protect - no matter what the cost.
A year after having been reactivated, Matt Helm receives a message from his ex-wife, asking for his aid. The threat is an enemy agent named Martel, disguised as a mob hitman. To protect his family, Helm must "remove" the threat before his own children pay the ultimate price.
ABOUT THIS BOOK...A brand-new edition of the classic novel.In order to foil a mass assassination plot, Matt Helm must undertake his most dangerous mission: matrimony. An agent like Helm might be a nice man to live with for a while, be he's not the kind a woman would marry. Unless she has too. Unless it's all part of maintaining an ingenious cover. The man whose daily bread is violence takes a most unlikely bride - just to make sure death doesn't part them.
Helm is sent to extract a female agent working as a stripper in a bar in Mexico. When she is killed before Helm can complete his mission to extract her, he finds himself teamed up with the woman's sister as he fights to save the lives of a group of scientists and American officials. Perhaps the most famous of the titles, due to the Dean Martin film of the same name, but where the movies were tongue-in-cheek, the novels are breathtakingly brutal.
Matt Helm, code name Eric, has been recently reactivated as an operative for a secret American government organization after 15 years as a sedentary photographer and family man in Santa Fe, New Mexico. In his first assignment after returning to the service, he is sent to Sweden to eliminate Caselius, a long-time enemy agent. In order to do so, he must leave a trail of bodies in his wake.
WHO WAS HE, REALLY, UNDER THE BANDAGES?When Navy Lieutenant David Young came to in a hospital bed, his face was covered with bandages and the nurses were calling him by a stranger's name. But his nightmare was only beginning. Because the man they believed him to be was suspected of treason - and had driven his wife to murder.Now, in a shadow world of dirty deals and brutal crimes, David must learn to stay one step ahead of hidden enemies. If he can't, his impersonation of a dead man is about to become a lot more realistic...
McAuliffe was a raw Lone Star kid in enemy country The war was over and the land was infested with bitter, homeless men to whom killing and cattle thieving were a way of life. Chuck McAuliffe knew there'd be trouble crossing Texas with his herd of wild Spanish cattle. He'd reckoned with the bushwhackers and the Indians. But he was too young to know about the kind of danger that lay hidden in the heart of a treacherous woman. ...
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.