- Table View
- List View
Spanning twenty tumultuous years, and moving from the glittering world of Paris high-fashion to the headquarters of luxury hotel conglomerate, from the set of a prime-time TV sizzler to a major Senate race, First Born unfolds the lives of four fascinating women whose destinies compel them toward a violent clash of ambition and love.
As the Presidential election heats up, four women compete for the most coveted prize of all in a highly charged, male-dominated arena. Zoe Vaughn is the new foreign policy advisor to Ben Knight, a senator making a bid for the Presidency-and Zoe's first love. Congresswoman Georgie Hughes has just been nominated for Vice President on the Republican ticket, but an illicit love affair could destroy her dreams. As chief reporter covering the election, Celia Porter can't risk having her old sins exposed-even if it means betraying a cherished friend. A devastating tragedy rocked Kate Siegel's marriage. Now, she finds herself torn between a reconciliation with her husband and a love affair with someone new. From a campaign trail fraught with unexpected reversals and searing betrayals to the final moment of decision between victory and failure, these friends, enemies, and lovers are all players in a high-stakes game of power and politics in which only one can win ...
Ricki Baird was only nine when her mother, a bank officer, blew the whistle on a major drug money laundering scheme. From that moment on, mother and daughter could never be safe. Hidden in the Witness Security Program, little Ricki Baird was officially dead. . . and Amanda Maxwell was born. Years later, one person learns the truth about the beautiful, reclusive "Max" -- Lionel Baird, the beloved father she was forced to leave behind. When he is found dead of an apparent suicide, Amanda suspects murder. But as she digs for the truth, her anonymity is threatened. . . and so is her life. Now, with a circle of fear tightening around her, Amanda sets a cunning, complex trap, using herself as bait, in a desperate attempt to find her father's killer -- and free herself from the past.
This is a romance in which Gaby has to fight for what is rightfully hers against overwhelming odds. The story is set against a background of the world of antiques, a subject which the author has obviously well researched. WARNING: some explicit descriptions of sex and incest.
Isabelle's happy childhood in Spain is shattered when her mother is murdered and her father dies soon after. She is raised in Santa Fe by the caring Durans along with their adopted daughter Nina. After high school graduation Nina learns a shattering secret and feels betrayed by her stepsister and parents. She severs all ties with her family and after becoming a famous gossip journalist sets out for revenge by sabotaging Isabelle's love life and writing a humiliating exposé of Isabelle who is now a world famous artist. Meanwhile Isabelle can't enjoy her success until she brings her mother's killer to justice. This is a long, sweeping novel of the trials and rewards of wealth and fame, the security and stress of family ties, of hearts broken and mended, of fortunes made and lost and of love and reconciliation.
From the old world elegance of Budapest to the opulence of Manhattan and the glittering capitals of Washington, London, and Paris, comes a magnificent story of love and danger, passion and heart-stopping intrigue... Katalin and Steven: even as children in Hungary, they has shared a special bond. Then tragedy struck, cruelly tearing them apart. they would grow up separated by an ocean and an iron curtain... together only in their hearts. Now, after years of work and hardship, Steven has forged a new life in a new land, rising from the coal mines of Kentucky to the corridors of power to become the man who has everything--except the one thing he longs for the most... Now, Katalin has won fame as an internationally acclaimed pianist with an adoring public, a brilliant future, and a handsome, powerful husband. Yet night after night, she gives her most stung performance offstage--when she escapes her barren marriage to lead a dangerous double life... and now, Katalin and Steven have found each other once again--only to discover that walls of deceit still keep them apart. and for Katalin--called The Wild Rose for breathtaking beauty, her defiant spirit, and her unquenchable thirst for freedom-the moment has come when she must risk everything for the man who meant more to her than life itself.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.