- Table View
- List View
"I am deeply inspired by this heartwarming story of how two people found love and--even better--a way to get paid for drinking wine." --Dave Barry Internationally renowned journalists Dorothy J. Gaiter and John Brecher present a captivating memoir about falling in love with each other and with wine. She grew up in the all-black environment of Florida A&M University in Tallahassee. He was raised in Jacksonville, Florida, where his was one of a handful of Jewish families. When they met on June 4, 1973, in the newsroom of The Miami Herald, she says, "I felt in my bones like I had known him forever." And he says, "I felt the instant I saw her that we had always been together, and knew we always would be."That passion for each other and for wine has made their column a must-read for millions of neophyte and veteran wine lovers, who also follow their appearances on Martha Stewart's TV show. The annual global celebration of wine that they created, "Open That Bottle Night," encourages readers to finally drink that special wine they have been keeping. As Dottie and John write, "Wine can conjure up memories in a way that few other things can," whether it's a rare Burgundy or a bottle of cold duck.Frank J. Prial of The New York Times said of their first book, The Wall Street Journal Guide to Wine, "Their enthusiasm for the grape . . . is exceeded only by their enthusiasm for each other. It spills over on every other page." Indeed, John and Dottie say they don't write a wine column; they write a column about more important things. This book follows them from love at first sight, through a life of journalism, to a triumph on the basketball court at Madison Square Garden. You'll discover the joys of wine along with them, but you'll also discover that wine is really about good times, bad times, moments shared with loved ones, and new friends. It's about memories. It's about life.From the Hardcover edition.
Authors provide a simple and straightforward guide to choosing wine. Focuses on how to select the right drink for each of life's best moments.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.