From "A Scandal in Bohemia," in which Sherlock Holmes is famously outwitted by a woman, the captivating Irene Adler, to "The Five Orange Pips," in which the master detective is pitted against the Ku Klux Klan, to "The Final Problem," in which Holmes and his archenemy, Professor Moriarty, face each other in a showdown at the Reichenbach Falls, the stories that appear in The Adventures and Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes bear witness to the flowering of author Arthur Conan Doyle's genius. "The plain fact," the celebrated mystery writer Vincent Starrett asserted, "is that Sherlock Holmes is still a more commanding figure in the world than most of the warriors and statesmen in whose present existence we are invited to believe."From the Trade Paperback edition.
Contains the following adventures: A Scandal in Bohemia The Red-headed League A Case of Identity The Boscombe Valley Mystery The Five Orange Pips The Man with the Twisted Lip The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle The Adventure of the Speckled Band The Adventure of the Engineer's Thumb The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor The Adventure of the Beryl Coronet The Adventure of the Copper Beeches
This splendid collection of mysteries carries readers back to a gas-lit era, when literature's greatest detective team lived on Baker Street. A dozen of Holmes and Watson's best-known cases include "The Speckled Band," "The Red-Headed League," "The Five Orange Pips," "The Copper Beeches," and "A Scandal in Bohemia."
Adapted, condensed and illustrated version of 7 of the Sherlock Holmes stories. Numerous punctuation errors left intact from the print copy.
Sherlock holmes es, sin lugar a dudas, el detective más famoso de la historia. creado por Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, constituye uno de los hitos de la literatura de investigación de fines del XIX y comienzos del XX.
1) Cinco pepitas de naranja, 2) El mendigo de la cicatriz, 3) El carbunclo azul, 4) La banda moteada.
Sir Arthur Ignatius Conan Doyle, DL (1859-1930) was a Scottish author. He is most noted for his stories about the detective Sherlock Holmes, which are generally considered a major innovation in the field of crime fiction, and for the adventures of Professor Challenger. He was a prolific writer whose other works include science fiction stories, historical novels, plays and romances, poetry, and non-fiction. His first significant work was A Study in Scarlet, which appeared in Beeton[s Christmas Annual for 1887 and featured the first appearance of Sherlock Holmes, who was partially modelled after his former university professor, Joseph Bell. Other works include The Firm of Girdlestone (1890), The Captain of the Polestar (1890), The Doings of Raffles Haw (1892), Beyond the City (1892), The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (1892), The Exploits of Brigadier Gerard (1896), The Great Boer War (1900), The Green Flag (1900), The Hound of the Baskervilles (1902), and The Lost World (1912).
Volume 1 of the 2-volume Complete Sherlock Holmes starts with Holmes's first appearance, A Study in Scarlet, a chilling murder novel complete with bloodstained walls and cryptic clues, followed by the baffling The Sign of Four, which introduces Holmes's cocaine problem and Watson's future wife.
Volume II, the final volume of The Complete Sherlock Holmes, begins with The Return of Sherlock Holmes and typically Holmes rescues the innocent, confounds the guilty, and solves the most perplexing puzzles in this collection of stories.
All of the Sherlock Holmes stories in one volume.
A caballo entre el género policiaco, la reconstrucción histórica y el relato de aventuras, la novela gira en torno a un crimen cometido en Londres y cuya trama se relaciona con la secta mormona y el estado de Utah.
The most famous of the Sherlock Holmes stories, The Hound of the Baskervilles features the phantom dog of Dartmoor, which, according to an ancient legend, has haunted the Baskervilles for generations. When Sir Charles Baskerville dies suddenly of a heart attack on the grounds of the family's estate, the locals are convinced that the spectral hound is responsible, and Holmes is called in. "Conan Doyle triumphed and triumphed deservedly," G. K. Chesterton wrote, "because he took his art seriously, because he lavished a hundred little touches of real knowledge and genuine picturesqueness on the police novelette."
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.