Ed Sacks's Tenants' Bill of Rights: (excerpt) As a renter you have a right to a clean, safe place to live: roach-free, rat-free and mouse-free living; repairs made quickly and properly; make complaints about violation of rights without retaliation; a lease that guarantees these (and other) rights in writing, etc. As a renter, you spend a lot of your hard-earned money to live in your home. How can you get the most for your money? What are your rights, especially if you encounter problems with your apartment or your landlord? The Renters' Survival Kit is your indispensable guide to the sometimes harsh world of renting. This book gives you the power to make smart, confident choices. Ed Sacks takes you on an easygoing but fact-packed tour of the rental process. He is a tenant's sympathetic but tough ally. You will find answers to all your questions as well as practical and time-tested tips no one ever told you until now. For example, wouldn't you like to know: Why should you bring a box of toothpicks and a boom box when you inspect a potential apartment? Where can you go for more help in dealing with your landlord? ' What can you do about your leaky faucet (cockroaches, noisy neighbors, rising rent)? How can you be sure to get your security deposit back? Sacks has provided you with more than 31 worksheets, sample agreements, letters and checklists, including the invaluable Apartment Hunter's Checklist, to get you started. Whether you are a new or experienced renter, you want the most for your money. The rental process can be daunting. On top of that, some landlords are impossible. This book is your best guide to apartment survival and is guaranteed to help you find a comfortable, affordable place to call home. You'll NEVER again look at an apartment or landlord the same way! About the Author Ed Sacks is a writer, photographer, director and poet. He is a certified mediator with the Center for Conflict Resolution in Chicago, Illinois, and a counselor on landlord- tenant matters. The author of four books, including the popular Chicago Tenants' Handbook, Sacks has been involved with renting and landlord-tenant relations for the past 25 years.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.