- Table View
- List View
Ed Sacks's Tenants' Bill of Rights: (excerpt) As a renter you have a right to a clean, safe place to live: roach-free, rat-free and mouse-free living; repairs made quickly and properly; make complaints about violation of rights without retaliation; a lease that guarantees these (and other) rights in writing, etc. As a renter, you spend a lot of your hard-earned money to live in your home. How can you get the most for your money? What are your rights, especially if you encounter problems with your apartment or your landlord? The Renters' Survival Kit is your indispensable guide to the sometimes harsh world of renting. This book gives you the power to make smart, confident choices. Ed Sacks takes you on an easygoing but fact-packed tour of the rental process. He is a tenant's sympathetic but tough ally. You will find answers to all your questions as well as practical and time-tested tips no one ever told you until now. For example, wouldn't you like to know: Why should you bring a box of toothpicks and a boom box when you inspect a potential apartment? Where can you go for more help in dealing with your landlord? ' What can you do about your leaky faucet (cockroaches, noisy neighbors, rising rent)? How can you be sure to get your security deposit back? Sacks has provided you with more than 31 worksheets, sample agreements, letters and checklists, including the invaluable Apartment Hunter's Checklist, to get you started. Whether you are a new or experienced renter, you want the most for your money. The rental process can be daunting. On top of that, some landlords are impossible. This book is your best guide to apartment survival and is guaranteed to help you find a comfortable, affordable place to call home. You'll NEVER again look at an apartment or landlord the same way! About the Author Ed Sacks is a writer, photographer, director and poet. He is a certified mediator with the Center for Conflict Resolution in Chicago, Illinois, and a counselor on landlord- tenant matters. The author of four books, including the popular Chicago Tenants' Handbook, Sacks has been involved with renting and landlord-tenant relations for the past 25 years.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.