- Table View
- List View
The ultimate insider takes us behind the scenes, in the book everyone is waiting for.As Jean Chrétien's right-hand man for thirty years in Ministries all over Ottawa, Eddie Goldenberg got to know how things worked -- especially from 1993 to 2003, when he was Senior Policy Advisor to the Prime Minister.What did this title mean? It meant that Eddie made things happen. For example, during Paul Martin's years at Finance, Eddie was the go-between who linked Chrétien and Martin, who were for much of the time barely on speaking terms. Or when vital decisions about the Iraq War had to be made, Eddie was the man who wrote the words, "If military action proceeds without a new resolution of the Security Council, Canada will not participate."And that's the way this revealing book works; important decisions are used as case studies as we learn how things really happen in the tough world of politics. Those less concerned with mastering the system will simply enjoy reading this as an engaging account of an exciting arena, filled with memorable anecdotes about the world's biggest names."Journalists look for winners and losers so as to make good headlines. The real story is much more interesting, but is harder to write, and is very difficult to put in a clip of a few seconds.""President Bush smiled and said, 'You know the guy who wanted to see me, What's-his-name? I didn't see him.' I thought, poor Joe Clark; he had gone from 'Joe Who' to 'What's-his-name' in less than twenty years."-- Excerpt from The Way it WorksFrom the Hardcover edition.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ���DAISY Text with Images���.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.