Held captive by grotesque bodiless heads, Princess Tara of Helium was rescued by a warrior who dared not reveal his name. But escape led the daughter of the Warlord of Mars into even more loathesome peril -- as the prize in a bloody game of living chess.From the Paperback edition.
After the long exile on Earth, John Carter finally returned to his beloved Mars. But beautiful Dejah Thoris, the woman he loved, had vanished. Now he was trapped in the legendary Eden of Mars -- an Eden from which none ever escaped alive.From the Paperback edition.
This bind-up of the first three John Carter of Mars books is an ideal 100th anniversary keepsake.Ever since A Princess of Mars was published in 1912, readers of all ages have read and loved Edgar Rice Burroughs' Barsoom series. Now, 100 years later, this brand-new bind-up is timed with the release of a Disney feature film and contains the first three classic John Carter of Mars books: A Princess of Mars, The Gods of Mars, and The Warlord of Mars. Featuring an Introduction by Bruce Coville and illustrations from three classic fantasy illustrators--Mark Zug, Scott Gustafson, and Scott Fischer--this collection is an incredible value and will be treasured by existing and new fans.
Virginia gentleman John Carter, unexpectedly transported to the perilous red planet, Mars, finds himself captured by the loveless Green Men of Thark. As Carter struggles to win his freedom -and the affections of fellow captive Dejah Thoris, princess of the rival clan of Helium -the fate of the entire planet hangs in the balance: warring Martian tribes collide and the beleaguered Atmosphere Factory grinds to a suffocating halt. Ray Bradbury, reminiscing on the enduring thrill of Burroughs's Martian adventure, writes, "I stood on the lawns of summer, raised my hands, and cried for Mars, like John Carter, to take me home. I flew to the Red Planet and never returned."
Abandoned in the African jungle, a baby boy is rescued and reared by a loving ape foster mother. Tarzan grows into a mighty warrior and becomes leader of his tribe of apes until he encounters humans. An expedition of white treasure hunters has entered his jungle kingdom, accompanied by the beautiful Jane Porter. Tarzan determines to become civilized in order to win her. But will the charms of this charming and cultured young woman overcome when the spirit of his wild nature beckons?
Hidden from the teeming jungles of Africa by huge cloud banks, the lofty peaks of the mysterious, impenetrable fortresses of the forbidding Ghenzi Mountain range frown down on a thousand valleys never visited by man, in the crater of the highest peak lives a strange people, descendants of early refugees from Rome--half-mad, half-idiot--their religion a frightful travesty of what it once was. These are the Midianites--who now practice human sacrifice! And it is among these near-beasts in their crater surrounded by towering, unscalable escarpments that a young Englishwoman is trapped. Only Tarzan could possibly reach her. But Tarzan is hundreds of miles away tracking down a gang of slave-dealers, unaware that a helpless young life hangs by a thread...
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.