- Table View
- List View
What you are about to read is a tribute to all the writers who taught a whole generation of crime fiction authors not only the tricks of writing but a few tricks about living as well. Here gathered together for the first time is a collection of unforgettable stories by the best contemporary writers who have extended and are continuing the tradition. This anthology is a summit meeting of the finest practitioners in the high art of suspense, a bridge connecting the masters of the past with the masters of today.
LONE STAR LAW Twelve thrilling Western tales that celebrate the proud heritage of the TEXAS RANGERS Louis L'Amour leads off this powerful collection with a stunning tale featuring his legendary Texas Ranger Chick Bowdrie. Here, too, are superb, action-packed entries from today's outstanding Western storytellers -- distinguished award winners as well as daring newcomers, including Peter Brandvold · Randy Lee Eickhoff · Marcus Galloway · Ed Gorman · Elmer Kelton · Rod Miller · Robert J. Randisi · James Reasoner · Dusty Richards · Troy D. Smith · L. J. Washburn Edited by renowned author and anthologist Robert J. Randisi, Lone Star Law spans the existence of this elite investigative law enforcement agency. From fending off hostile Comanche to tracking serial killers, from aiming Winchesters and Colt revolvers to firing up laptops and state-of-the-art forensics technology, from targeting rustlers and outlaw gangs to leading harrowing hostage negotiations, the men and women who don the badge and white hat of the Texas Ranger stand as steadfast deliverers of American justice -- the Lone Star way.
When notorious gunslinger Stephen Fuller came to Cedar Rapids, it became Anna Toland's job, as matron of the town jail, to see to it that he didn't create any trouble in town before he left--and that he left as soon as possible. But by nightfall a man was dead, Fuller was on the run, and everyone was sure the gunslinger was guilty. Everyone except Anna. No one in town would listen to what a woman had to say about murder or the law, so Anna had to set out on her own to find the real killer. But before she could do that, she would uncover shocking, long-buried secrets that threatened to tear the quiet town apart.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ���DAISY Text with Images���.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.