- Table View
- List View
Follow Hoagland's travels, from equatorial mountain forests to the Sahara desert; from small Sudanese towns in the south and west to short stays in the capital, Khartoum. Hoagland's eye for detail presents the reader with electrifying images of life in the Sudan - rotten diets, disease, coups and civil war, the traders, poachers, tribal headmen, and those who come to help.
In "Compass Points", Hoagland looks back over his life in an attempt to discern the fundamental directions in which he is traveling, and he tells a story that embraces some of the contradictions and complexities of human experience. It reflects with elegance Hoagland's intransigent honesty, his protean ardor, and, most important, his generosity. Here, family and friends, wives and lovers, mentors and fellow writers are given their due in a life's reckoning that is shrewd in observation, marvelously crafted, rapturous in its acceptance and appreciation. A pithy mix of family history and personal insight, "Compass Points" transforms one man's story into an American saga.
Hoagland discusses a range of subjects from the natural history of owls to the delicious mystery of wolves in stories such as "Howling Back at the Wolves"; the demise of the red wolf "Lament the Red Wolves"; our relationship with dogs "Dogs, and the Tug of Life"; the nature of a bear-stalker "Bears, Bears, Bears"; and the intricate workings of an old farm's ecosystem. Hoagland reports from the front lines of life. He recounts fascinating detail with exacting prose. He's irascible, brilliant, probing, sharp-witted, and brutally honest about himself and the state of the natural world. No one who admires John Muir, Henry David Thoreau, John Burroughs, and Edward Abbey should miss this definitive collection. It will forever change the way you view the natural world.
Showcasing Hoagland's extraordinary gifts for portraiture --- his cast runs from salty prospector to trader, explorer, missionary, and indigenous guide --- "Notes from the Century Before" is a breathtaking mix of anecdote and unparalleled elegy from one of the finest writers of our time.
The life and times of Johnny Appleseed. The adventures of New York City tugboatmen. Street life in Cairo and Dar es Salaam. The pains and paradoxes of being male and female; the dilemmas of an aging America; the unease of writers between books. The natural history of swallows, juneberries, owls, foxes, and toads. The fourteen essays in this brilliant collection cover all of the above and much more.
A fantastic Western romp by one of America's finest writers.
The nineteen essays in this important collection explore the New England wilderness including the Green and White Mountains and Maine - and also such a far-flung diversity of subjects as assassinations, dogs, jury duty, mountain lions, power, fame, women's liberation, life in New York City, boxing, freight cars, and much more.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.