- Table View
- List View
Modern moral theories have crystallized around the logic of individual choices,abstracted from social and historical context. Yet most action, including moral theorizing, canequally be understood as a response, conscious or otherwise, to the social world out of which itemerges. In this novel account of moral agency, Elise Springer accords central importance to how weintervene in activity around us. To notice and address what others are doing with their moral agencyis to exercise what Springer calls critical responsiveness. Her account of this responsivenesssteers critics away from both of the conventionally familiar ideals -- justifying and expressingreactive attitudes on one hand, and prescribing and manipulating behavioral outcomes on the other. Good critical practice functions instead as a dynamic gestural engagement of attention, reachingfurther than expressive representation but not as far as causal control. To make sense of suchengagement, Springer unravels the influence of several entrenched philosophical dichotomies (activevs. passive, representation vs. object, illocution vs. perlocution). Where previous accounts havebeen preoccupied with justified claims or with end results, Springer urges the cultivation ofsituated critical engagement -- an unorthodox virtue. Moral agency can thereby claim a creative andembodied aspect, transforming the world of action through a socially extended process ofcommunicating concern.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ���DAISY Text with Images���.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.