- Table View
- List View
Modern moral theories have crystallized around the logic of individual choices,abstracted from social and historical context. Yet most action, including moral theorizing, canequally be understood as a response, conscious or otherwise, to the social world out of which itemerges. In this novel account of moral agency, Elise Springer accords central importance to how weintervene in activity around us. To notice and address what others are doing with their moral agencyis to exercise what Springer calls critical responsiveness. Her account of this responsivenesssteers critics away from both of the conventionally familiar ideals -- justifying and expressingreactive attitudes on one hand, and prescribing and manipulating behavioral outcomes on the other. Good critical practice functions instead as a dynamic gestural engagement of attention, reachingfurther than expressive representation but not as far as causal control. To make sense of suchengagement, Springer unravels the influence of several entrenched philosophical dichotomies (activevs. passive, representation vs. object, illocution vs. perlocution). Where previous accounts havebeen preoccupied with justified claims or with end results, Springer urges the cultivation ofsituated critical engagement -- an unorthodox virtue. Moral agency can thereby claim a creative andembodied aspect, transforming the world of action through a socially extended process ofcommunicating concern.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.