- Table View
- List View
Ten-year-old Gabe has just been accepted to the Summer Center for Gifted Enrichment. That means he'll be spending six weeks at sleepaway camp, writing poetry and perfecting logic proofs. SCGE has been a summer home of some legendary middle-school smarty-pants (and future Jeopardy! contestants), but it also has a reputation for being, well, a nerd camp. Gabe isn't a nerd. Is he? He's never thought about it much, but compared to Zack, his hip, soon-to-be-stepbrother from LA, Gabe's not so sure where he falls on the cool scale. A wild summer at camp--complete with a midnight canoe ride to Dead Man's Island--helps Gabe realize that he and Zack may be different, but that doesn't mean they can't be brothers...and friends. eak ever). Adjust your head-gear, pack your camp bag and get ready to geek out!
Gabe's happily headed back to Nerd Camp--but can he handle a cool-kid invasion?For Gabe, the equation for ideal summer bliss equals six glorious weeks of vigorous learning immersion at the Summer Center for Gifted Enrichment--aka, Nerd Camp. Last year was amazing, and this summer will be even better. At least, that's what Gabe thinks until a new variable is introduced: Zack, Gabe's cool stepbrother, was supposed to attend a camp nearby, but in the aftermath of a recent wildfire, Zack's camp and nerd camp will be sharing territory. As these two very different worlds collide, will both camps--and both stepbrothers--survive the summer?
Look out Wall Street--Lindy Sachs is about to make some serious cash. A twelve-year-old takes on the stock market in this money-minded middle grade novel. It all starts when seventh grader Lindy Sachs is granted $100 and access to her father's online trading account as a way to alleviate her boredom while she's home sick from school. Lindy learns something immediately--she is very, very good at e-trading. Her $100 becomes $200. Then $400. And more. With trading talent and access to her parents' savings, the opportunity to make some real dough is too tempting to pass up. In fact, given how well Lindy's stocks are doing, it would be a disservice to not invest it all... Right?
When Fara Ross puts on mismatched socks accidentally one morning, little does she know that it will ignite her political career. What begins as a wardrobe malfunction grows into an expression of freedom in footwear, and that can only lead to bigger things -- like the race for sixth-grade student council president. Fara knows she is perfect for the job. But as the election nears, she realizes that everyone, from her friends on her campaign team to her entire town, is paying more attention to her socks than to the issues that she stands for. All Fara wants is to serve the community. Does she have the creativity and the passion that it takes to help people see beyond her feet? Even at the cost of her friendships? Who knew that socks could spark such a revolution -- and so many problems?!
Mark Hopper is the smartest student in the sixth grade, and he knows it. When another Mark Hopper moves to town (the same age, with similar looks), Mark Hopper makes trouble for Mark Hopper. The Mark everyone knows isn't very nice, so the other Mark finds no one will talk to him. The new Mark isn't very brainy, so the other Mark worries that people will think he's a dummy. When a teacher forces them to be study partners, they realize that they can benefit from one another's strengths - and maybe win the Mastermind Challenge together. Trouble is, one of the Marks wants to win so badly that he's willing to steal from Mark.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.